WAG How to prevent OCD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD had elbow OCD. She was a level 8 starting to train 9 when the pain started. She was 8th grade. She tried rest for a few months, but ultimately had the surgery. She took some time off after surgery, then slowly started conditioning and started back to gym slowly about 5 months post surgery. Even then she was very selective about her skills. She was doing HS gymnastics and then repeating L8 so she had time to recover without up-training. No BHS or FHS in tumbling (did RO layout or RO full and FT FP). She changed vault from yurchenko to Tsuk, for most of the first year back she did CW RO on beam ( added back BHS BHS for states and regionals). Even took out the pirouette in bars and replaced it with an uphill.

She does hyper-extend elbows and I believe that was one of the reasons she developed OCD. She caught it very early so the surgery was only drilling holes (no loose fragments).

She's now in 10th grade (training L9 and doing HS gymnastics) and has had a couple times her elbow bothered her since surgery. One time she went to PT and they work on not hyper-extending elbow and strengthening. The most recent elbow issue was "jammed elbow" from a bad vault. I was worried it was related to OCD, but it healed and she's had no issue's since.

What is the best way to minimize the chances of my DD of getting this?

Make sure that your daughter is very honest with you about pain. The best way to accomplish this is to share some of the stories you read here with her (such as Bookworm's) so that she can learn from other gymnast's mistakes (when it comes to ignoring pain). She has to understand that by ignoring some types of pain, she might end her career or need surgery. I see a lot of OCD emerge when yurchenkos are taught in a hurry instead of developing them slowly over several years, so that may be one culprit for kids training L8 (or just the nature of the yurchenko itself).

I was just reading this and searching internet about ocd. My daughter complained about her ankle making popping sounds, and wanting me go maneuver it so it could pop hard. I didn't of course. But she's complaining it hurting and been bothering her. It just started yesterday. I told her to elevate and will re assess tomorrow. I am praying it's nothing. She's only 8, but in the gym more than 15 hours a week. Level 4.

My daughter has elbows that hyperextend and her elbows pop sometimes and occasionally get "stuck". Is that an OCD indicator? She has no pain at all, no swelling either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back