Parents How to you prevent...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaks

Proud Parent
How do you prevent wedgies? When my dd went to her first development class last night she was constantly tugging at the under bit of her leotard and shorts ( the leotard is not too tight and neither is the shorts).

Does she do that when she isn't wearing shorts?
In my experience it is normally the shorts which causes the picking. My daughter started doing it when I got her some new shorts but most people seemed to think the shorts should help - they really didn't.

The Zone shorts are the worse. They roll up at the top of the leg and then it just feels wierd according to dd. Others have said the same. You need shorts which are long enough and a good enough fit to stay unrolled so that they don't fight with the leotard for space at the top of the leg and cause the girls to keep picking at them.

If it isn't the shorts then tbh she will probably grow out of it once she is focusing so much on what she is doing that she hasn't time to pick.

Don't worry though. We are all more conscious of things our own kids are doing, but if you take a look around you'll see other kids picking and worse!!

If her underwear that she is wearing does not fit well like the leotard does it will cause that as well, so will the leos you would find a Target and other stores like that. My solution as well as both dd's is that they don't wear any and they only wear the real gym leos ie GK, Alpha Factor, Dreamlight etc.

( the leotard is not too tight and neither is the shorts).

Sometimes it's because they're not tight enough :). Correctly fitting leo and shorts should be tight enough to hold in place. Bear in mind that the size/age guides for most companies, for example Milano, are just that, only a guide. My DD is 8 and a size 24/26, depending on brand, rather than the 28" that most companies label as 7-8.

I agree with flossyduck re. shorts. I make DD's and leave them longer in the leg (helps protect on bars too), put a bigger hem on the leg to stop them rolling up, and also do a size smaller than usual. My DD is oblivious though, and doesn't pick, but if she's in stuff too big she'll be running round the gym with one leg up round her bum, with the leo poking out, by the end of the session :D.

Does your coach check fit? With gym stuff there should be no wrinkling and creasing, especially in the small of the back, it should be smooth and tight all over...

I agree with all the others also some leo companies for different styles have a different cut to the legs and that can cause some wedgies too. When the kids are little it can be hard to find that great fitting leo but its a matter of trying it on and having her move in it to see what it will do. Although not as popular as they use to be the velvet leos I found don't move around like the newer fabrics do.

Sometimes just the style of the leo can be the issue. Sometimes its just the manufacturer that doesn't fit well on your child. For my DD GK is good and Snowflake fits good but I know some of the girls in her group can't wear Snowflake at all because they tend to more long in the torso.

Thanks for the replys, she was wearing a Milano leotard yesterday and a pair of shorts that fit ok around the waist but were too big around the legs, today she had on a Zone leotard that is velvet soft feeling with no undies and I didn't notice any " re arranging"

My daughter had the same issues and I have to say it is all about fit. There are certain brands that work for her and certain ones that ride up on her. She has some leos that ride (gifts or meet leos or mom mistakes) and she has a couple pairs of shorts that she wears with those.

I will go also with tighter shorts and get the real gymnastics velvet ones. My dd's are like two sizes smaller than her normal size. But they not only don't ride but they keep the leos from riding as well.

I also agree about the velvet leos. They tend to fit great, wear comfy, not ride and last forever. They are also really stretchy so they can grow more in them. They are pretty boring though so the girls don't seem to favor them as much. I bedazzled one for my dd though and she LOVES it now :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back