Parents how would you fix this leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
there's one missing rhinestone on this leo that i want to fix. i know, i know. "just leave it", you're thinking!
but, it bugs me and i wanna know how to fix it!

i'm hoping you all know some secret way to remove one of the other stones from a less conspicuous spot on the leo and then i could just use it? and if so, how do i do that and how do i reattach it?

thanks! :)

Attachments

• blueleo.jpg
    blueleo.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 251
Oh, no, go to a craft store! You should be able to find the right stone (along with probably 50-100 stones exactly like it) and then just use hot glue. It may come off again, but you'll have 49 or 99 replacements available.

hot glue is how most are put on in the first place. thats one of the reasons youare nit supposed to put them in the dryer. special craft glue is used too.

You can buy 'hot fix' crystals from ebay - these can (I think) be put on with an iron (I haven't done this so if you do this look up on google how to do it without damaging the leotard), but if you are likely to be replacing quite a few crystals over the years it may be worth investing in a hotfix wand - these are inexpensive and make it easy to attach single crystals. The wands can also be bought from ebay. Be sure to use the flat tip and not the shaped tip as the shaped tip will touch the leotard and could potentially damage it. Hot fixing bonds the crystal to the leotard and it will be secure even when washed.

Hot fix OR special glue. Not hot glue, that is not how they are put on nor will it stay on using that. :) I personally prefer hot fix stones. They're very easy to use, just make sure to set the iron to an appropriate heat setting and use a pressing cloth to not damage the finish of the Leo fabric. :) you can find hot fix stones at pretty much any craft store, including walmart.... Good luck!

Michaels, or AC Moore or any craft store sells Swarovski hot fix crystals for $6. The little crystal iron will glue it right back on.
Just make sure you have the right size. Usually 4mm clear.
Frankly (as a leotard junkie) I have used this crystal gun MANY TIMES. I have many different colored crystals too.
I wouldnt remove another one to move it. I can become damaged and useless.

Don't try to remove other stones. I've fixed lots of leos by buying replacement stones and gluing them on with gem-tac glue (it seems just like PVA glue to me). I haven't tried the iron-on hot-fix stones but they sound good.

? My dd comp leo has one stone that is halfway off. (after one time wear!!) Should I hotfix this stone back on or buy a new one?

? My dd comp leo has one stone that is halfway off. (after one time wear!!) Should I hotfix this stone back on or buy a new one?
I'm not sure if you can hotfix them back on once they've started coming off, as hotfixing uses the heat to melt the solid glue on the back of the stone and bond it to the fabric. Once it has peeled away it might not work so effectively if you try to melt what glue is left on the stone again with an iron or hotfix wand.

I'm guessing that you would either need to use a special glue such as Gem-Tac to fix the stone back on or remove the stone completely and hotfix on a new one. It depends on how nearly off it is as you don't want to damage the leotard in the process of pulling the stone off. If I were you I would not do anything yet and ask @Iwannabemargo or @SurpriseGymMom as they are both extremely knowledgeable about leotard design and sparkling!

What Maleficent said. Either use the special glue and reattach this stone OR get a new, matching hot fix stone and tear the old one off. Once a hot fix stone is attached, the glue is "spent" unless it was really poorly attached to begin with and whoever attached it missed applying enough heat (which could happen). If one stone is already coming off it may be worth it to get matching ones for future repairs... :)

I'm following this as my 12 yr old dd has a Leo that is missing stones too. And I do not want to buy another since she will need a new one next year ( possibly a diff pattern)

I'm following this as my 12 yr old dd has a Leo that is missing stones too. And I do not want to buy another since she will need a new one next year ( possibly a diff pattern)
Then you absolutely need a wand and spare crystals. It's inexpensive and fun (especially if you're saving money by not buying a new leotard)! What's not to love?!

I recommend E6000 glue (Michaels or any craft place has it), the costume glue used by dance studios large and small to put on rhinestones and sequins. I like smaller tubes that come with the tips....otherwise just use eraser side of a pencil to put a dot of glue on leo then place rhinestone . Make sure to ventilate (it stinks)...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back