Parents How would you handle this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Bella has very recently began taking ballet to help with her artistry deficiencies. We found a studio after much searching that fit with our schedule and proximity to gym/home. It was a lot of work and she has to miss a little bit of gym time but her coach was supportive of the dance class so it was a go. I say this because switching dance studios isn't an option.

One of the instructors, who from what I can tell is the daughter of the owner, has small children who predictably are there all the time and have the run of the place. The kids don't seem to go into the dance studios but rather play in the lobby, offices, and hallways. So, no big deal.

Last night, the little boy (probably around 3?), was playing with a plastic sword. As my daughter was walking down the hall, he approached her and out of no where, whacked her on the hand with the sword. Bella was startled and started shaking her hand. It probably stung quite a bit and her finger did turn red but it's not like it was a big injury. A couple minutes later, the little boy hit my daughter. Again, not an injury and she's fine. However, as I sat waiting for Bella to come out, I noticed that he was hitting several of the dancers as they were changing into different shoes.

Now I feel uncomfortable, both as a customer and a mom. As a customer, I expect that my child won't be assaulted when she is simply walking down the hall. LOL As a mother, I would want to know if my child were misbehaving so I could give the correction and consequences of continued misbehavior.

The mother was not witness to the behavior, and I'm not judging her mothering techniques, but I will say what interactions I've seen seem to indicate that she is more of a lax parent. For example, she asks him to come into the office to sit with her and he ran down the hall. Mom didn't insist that he follow her direction. Again, every kid needs a different parenting style so there may be reasons that she didn't make it an issue.

I figure I have a couple of options.

1. Path of least resistance. Say nothing. Do nothing. Put up with it. (This one really annoys me as a mother and teacher.)
2. Talk to the owner who I have never spoken to about the behavior of her grandson.
3. Talk to the mother who I've had several pleasant conversations with about the behavior of her son.
4. Withdraw from dance altogether, which would upset Bella and her coach.

#2 and 3 make me nervous because people don't tend to take it well when they feel like you are criticizing their child or parenting. It has never bothered me personally when people tell me times that Bella has misbehaved but my past experience has shown that many parents do get bothered.

And keep in mind that this is a LITTLE boy. He is still in the instructional phase of learning not to hit. So I can cut him a lot of slack but it would sit better with me if I felt like his mother was addressing this. And how can she address it if she is unaware?

So tell me Chalkbucket parents, how would you handle this?

#3 - it is NOW that he needs to learn this is not acceptable behavior. I have seen too many kids (mostly boys) where the parents say just what you did - he is little so we let it slide. Then he becomes 5 and 6 and he becomes more aggressive and physical. He could really hurt someone.

You can have this conversation by pointing out to her that he might hurt somoene, or that some dancer's little brother or sister does the same thing back. Then it is no longer an innocent thing.

You don't have to criticize, but tell her what you observed. Your DD should not have to come to dance and wonder if he is going to start whacking her on the head! Good luck!

Hey, there's a little boy in the lobby that's hitting some of the kids. I'm not sure who the parent is, but wanted to let them know. Do you happen to know who the parent is, or would you let him/her know?

If I observed this behavior and the mother didn't, I would probably start at the source. Use your teacher voice and say, "Please don't hit. They're not playing with you right now." Maybe Mom will overhear and be made aware of the issue, maybe the fact that he is being reprimanded by a stranger will surprise him into submission. If that doesn't put a stop to it, then it's time to talk to either Mom or Grandma.

As an aside, it drives me crazy when parents don't follow through. Whether you're "strict" or "relaxed" about parenting, follow through! I don't think I have a ton of rules for my kids beyond basic stuff like "be kind", "help out", "do your work." etc. But if I told one of my kids, even as a 3 year old, to come into the office with me and she took off down the hall, you can bet that I would have retrieved my child and she WOULD have come sit in the office with me. Non-compliance (in a situation like that, at least) is not an option. In fact, some of the most difficult moments for me from a parenting perspective is having to follow through on a threat I wished, in retrospect, that I had never made (take away the toy, miss the outing, etc.).

If I observed this behavior and the mother didn't, I would probably start at the source. Use your teacher voice and say, "Please don't hit. They're not playing with you right now." Maybe Mom will overhear and be made aware of the issue, maybe the fact that he is being reprimanded by a stranger will surprise him into submission. If that doesn't put a stop to it, then it's time to talk to either Mom or Grandma.

As an aside, it drives me crazy when parents don't follow through. Whether you're "strict" or "relaxed" about parenting, follow through! I don't think I have a ton of rules for my kids beyond basic stuff like "be kind", "help out", "do your work." etc. But if I told one of my kids, even as a 3 year old, to come into the office with me and she took off down the hall, you can bet that I would have retrieved my child and she WOULD have come sit in the office with me. Non-compliance (in a situation like that, at least) is not an option. In fact, some of the most difficult moments for me from a parenting perspective is having to follow through on a threat I wished, in retrospect, that I had never made (take away the toy, miss the outing, etc.).

I would have told the boy not to hit, and let it go. If something else happened, I would go to the mom and addressed my concerns.

We're talking about a 3 year old?

Take the sword away and hand it to his Mom. Tell her you had to take it away because he was "hitting" with it.

It takes a village. :p

Feel free to kindly, gently but firmly, remind the little boy that hitting isn't very nice. "Friends don't hit friends." He'll probably need to be reminded several times.

and yes, taking the sword is a good idea.

I would say nothing about the last incident now, but if happens again tell the boy to stop and address it with his mom immediately.

We have incidents like this in our gym in the past. I have no problem gently reprimanding the child. I don't think I would have taken the sword away unless he attempted it again. And I'm assuming that everyone knows it's the instructor's child so if it happens again, I would just let her know after class. "just so you know, little Johnny was hitting the girls. He didn't listen when I reminded not to hit so I put the sword up on the shelf." But as for this last incident that happened, just let it slide. I think it really needs to be an "in the moment" mention for it not to come across as critism.

Also, I'm not sure how you feel about this but we have found that keeping the kids occupied, even just with small talk really helps. I really feel for the little ones that are stuck in the gym all day long. They can get bored very quickly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I would say nothing about the last incident now, but if happens again tell the boy to stop and address it with his mom immediately.

Yes...agreed...to much time has gone by now. Just address it right away if it happens again.

I agree -- reprimand him, remove the sword if necessary. If the lobby moms started doing that, I think he likely would stop.

Take the sword, follow it with a stern "we don't hit anyone with anything.". Hand sword to useless parent and tell them he was whacking people with it.

I agree with Bogwoppit. Take the sword and correct the child. Yes. I am THAT parent who will address other people's children particularly if they are trying to harm someone else. (Even if they are just pretending.) We had a practice meet at our gum before the season began. This is a relaxed event to get the girls back in gear for meet season. Siblings and children attending were not allowed on the equipment. Two boys were leaping and wrestling on some mats. One boy was actully doing a full knee drop on the other boy's back. (when they weren't doing that they were horsing around on the practice bars) I was worried that there would be a serious injury and no parent was around and the others didn't seem to care. So I told them, "Hey! I don't know where your parents are, but if they aren't going to tell you to stop them I am. So, knock it off!"
Whether they are three or thirteen, they need to be told.

I agree... I am also THAT parent ... I will scold someone else's child, usually without comment to their parent. If you allow your child to run free, then obviously, you have no problem with me disciplining them for you!

Takes a village to raise a child, the lack of a village is what creates societies problems.

i am also that parent. I was a nanny for years, raised three gems of my own and I would have no difficulty telling a child when it is time to behave according to my rules.

I would also address the child. Especially if there was no parent around. I would do that for any child I saw causing these types of problems who was unsupervised.

I'd definitely speak to the child myself first. Same as everyone else- just tell them it's not nice to hit other people and that you will take the sword away and tell mum if they do it again. They might feel safe being out of mum's eyeline and that threat might work, but then again he is three so you have to be prepared to follow up and take the sword to mum and explain he was hitting people with it and wouldn't stop when asked.

That's not at all unreasonable and as a mum I would prefer someone do that if it were my son.

I would talk to the owner. In the end she is responsible for what happens in her studio. It may make you nervouos but this kid isn't going to learn unless someone addresses this. I would just say something to the owner like on Wed when my DD came in and out of the studio the little boy who had a sword and running around hit my DD with the sword both times. I also observed him hitting other dancers. Would it be possible for this young boy not to have wepons that could hurt the dancers.

If it happened again I would definitly say somthing to the boy too, since the adults in charge of him are basicly not doing anything.
I have never had a problem disciplining someone elses child if they aren't going to do it. Especially if my kids are getting hurt.

You pay good money to be there and you or your daughter shouldn't feel like your going to be attacked by a 3yo. They are the ones that need to bring this kid to the office area or find a sitter for him. He needs supervision not just running around a lobby housed!!

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I believe, should this happen again, that I will first correct the child's behavior directly. If mom is around when that happens, then I will deal with whatever comes from that. If she gets mad and asks me to take my business elsewhere, then so be it.

I love that so many of us take the village approach to parenting. In my line of work, I see so many kids who don't have adults that really care all that much about their success or failure. I see too many parents who don't want to be bothered with the task of actually parenting. This is one reason that I have such a hard time letting this situation go.

I don't think the little boy is "bad" or a "brat" or anything like that. I don't even think that mom is a "bad mom". I suspect mom is a busy mom who has to spend more time away from her kids than she really wants. And hopefully she is just unaware of the behavior and will be reasonable when it is brought to her attention.

Two boys were leaping and wrestling on some mats. One boy was actully doing a full knee drop on the other boy's back. (when they weren't doing that they were horsing around on the practice bars) I was worried that there would be a serious injury and no parent was around and the others didn't seem to care.

Ack!!! That could of ended up SO horribly!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back