Parents Hurt Toe/Foot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

crazygymmom

Proud Parent
Hello! I don't post very often, but I read & learn a lot! Oh, and I'm really not a CGM, I picked the name before I knew what it meant ;) if there's a way to change it I'd love to!

First meet of the season a week and a half ago my dd fell on her back tuck off the beam. She whacked the side of her foot on the way down.

We went to the ER the following day for an X-ray. Not broke. And really no answers. Made an appt with an ortho and went a week ago. Not broke, just sprained, do what you can is the answer we got.

She tried practice yesterday and could do nothing but swing bars. Even easy landings hurt.

This morning her foot hurts worse then ever.

Anyone ever have experience with 'toe sprain'? Do you think it's more and we need to go back to the (or another) doctor?

She's a level 9, 10 year old who has been blessed with nothing other than sore heels in the past and a pulled hamstring. This injury stuff is new to both of us.

Thank you!!

I'm not a doctor, but recently had an experience with a broken foot which makes me ask- did they take weight bearing films when they took the radiographs? If not, they are probably missing a fracture. Smacking your foot on the beam doesn't sound like a sprain inducing injury. Get another opinion.

Thank you!
We have another appointment Thursday. I will ask for weight bearing films then. Not a lot of ortho docs in my area so we'll go to the same one.

Thank you!
We have another appointment Thursday. I will ask for weight bearing films then. Not a lot of ortho docs in my area so we'll go to the same one.

Being a parent of a recently injured DD, we are currently going through the same thing. Our DD broke her second toe and is on her third week of recovery and lots of conditioning/bars. Today was her first day that she was able to do some floor beam work since the toe seems to be "fusing" together well.

I would also encourage another x-ray to be taken especially if the pain isn't subsiding. Not sure about your DD but our daughter wasn't too thrilled to injured (since it's preventing her from going to Tops camp this week) but since she's spending a lot of her rotations on bars she's learned some new skills and perfected her current ones. Her coaches are actually pleasantly surprised since bars were always her weakness...so there is some good that can result from it.

Something's not right with that diagnosis. It sounds as though the doc maybe didn't understand the mechanism of injury as sprains rarely, if ever, happen from an impact like that. Did it swell at the time?

That said, people often assume that a sprain is not as serious as a break, when in fact it can be more painful and trickier to heal. Bone usually heals pretty well and pretty quickly.

It's good that you are going to get another x-ray and a second opinion. Best case scenario is that it's some internal bruising which may be more or less healed by Thursday, but best to get it properly checked. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back