Coaches hypermobility & form

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
I was wondering if hypermobility affects form. Is it harder for a child that is hypermobile to be tight, have straight legs than a child who is not?

I am asking because it seems that the girls I see struggle more with tightness have some level of hypermobility. Just coincidence in what I noticed or is it real?

Not that I've seen. Some of the best gymnasts I've coached were hypermobile. I'm not sure if they had trouble learning to squeeze but most of them didn't seem to. I can say that they seemed to be more prone to joint injuries and the not-so-mobile one seem to get muscle pulls more easily.

I have a preteam gymnast like this right now. She's extremely flexible and relatively strong, yet surprisingly, seems to have low muscle tone....she's my floppy gymnast. My plan is to take my time with her and also to use lots of shaping drills emphasizing contracting all her muscles to maintain a tight body (should be done with every gymnast, hypermobile or not anyway). I think with these kids it's very important to develop correct technique and the strength to support the joints immediately. For example, I would think that a child with hypermobile elbows would be even more susceptible to elbow injuries than the average gymnast if continuously tumbling with her hands incorrectly turned out in her back handspring.

thanks guys. was just curious. I know my own DD srruggles with form, always has. then there are days when she pulls out lovely form & it's like " where did that come from?"

I have read that hypermobile gymnasts are more prone to joint injuries & hyperextending knees & elbows.

I appreciate the input.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back