WAG I can't do lower level skills anymore...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
Has anyone dealt with this? I find it hilarious that I can't do a clear hip, a layout flyaway, a BWO BHS on beam, etc. Haha, I'm a level 10... :p

Yeah I have too. It was funny when I could do a back tuck on the beam but I couldn't land a cartwheel for the life of me. All the level 5s thought it was hilarious. The worst was on vault if the coaches would randomly make us do front handsprings. Mine was the most awful thing anyone had ever seen but I had a decent yurchenko.

You're just rusty. Brush off the rust and it will come back. If you care.

You have grown which changes alot about how a skill feels. You're also much more experienced in moving efficiently and funneling energy where a skill needs it. The best example you can relate to is the layout fly away. You've learned how to collect energy from the down swing and convert it ito height and enoug rotation for, oh let's say a double layout fly away. Top that off with having been away from single layout fly aways for a few years, and you end up pretty confused on a skill.

There is a benifit in being able to do every skill in the book because it's all about knowing what makes your body move. In a perfect world an accomplished gymnast should be able to do every single gymnastics movement all the way down to the dreaded mill cirlce, but who's perfect.

The bottom line is that you're in a program that trains for the future by doing progression for every new skill and the past seems to be forgotten in favor of moving into the future. I suppose that means that you'll just have to let go of every dream you've ever had of doing that darn mill circle better than anyone has ever done.

Just a bit of wise advice....... Don't try those past skills with out chatting it up with your coaches because they (the skills) still involve height, flight, and upside downness........ and they'll still cause injury if you get lost or over power them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back