Parents I found this interesting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

anything that Jim says should be listened to. 1 of the most educated, experienced and admirable men we have in the sport.:)

Yep, interesting I guess. Not sure where you're going with this though. What point are you trying to make? Is your dd an 8 yr old that has no idea what she can become? or is your 8 yr old one who knows and either wants elite or has decided that it's not for her.

For me --- I can say - that when my dd was 8
-Yes, she knew the greats
-Yes, she knew about college gymnastics - loved watching them and understood what it's about. Has always expressed interest in possibly competing collegiate - but, that's a long way off, and who knows
- Yes, she had watched The Worlds - gotta love the internet for that one
- No, she did not know what it took to be elite - but then she didn't care, didn't want it
- Yes, she had seen Elites perform - she even saw the Olympic Trials. Loved watching them, but didn't want that for herself
- Yes, she's had very positive coaching. and they are very realistic sharing with her where she is now/ where she was/ and where she could go with the sport
- Yes, she still loves to look back every once in a while at her very 1st meets and giggle at how far she has come.
- Yes, DD has always been a driven gymnast (started saying at age 2 that she wanted to compete). It has been my job to reign her in, keep her balanced, and support her (without pushing her). I kept her at a gym with NO team program up until she was 6 and begging to move. Why? B/C it was for fun! I wouldn't change that at all. Gym should always be fun - if not for fun, then why would any kid want to do gym? Will she choose to go on.....who the heck knows? I sure don't, nor do I care. If she's still in this sport when the times comes, then great - if not, well - she's had a blast and learned many life lessons through this sport.
She is well rounded, and LOVES what she does. That's all I care about.

I'm not sure that being 'driven' can be 'taught'. You can introduce kids to many things, but it's still up to them if they if they have the 'drive' for something.

**Is the point of your post that you can 'make' a kid more driven? **What exactly did you find interesting about the article? You just kind of posted it and left it hang in the wind. ** So - since you posted it, what is your view on it?

It is an interesting article, but I also want to know what YOUR opinion of it is? There was an article posted recently about intrinsic v. extrinsic motivation. Too tired tonight to try to find it, but I'm sure most read it anyway. Extrinsic motivation... the rewards (bribes, if you will) some parents will use to entice their gymmie (or other athlete, scholar, etc.) to try to perform their best, as opposed to the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done. I'm not sure intrinsic motivation can be taught. Gee, if it could, I wouldn't have to continue to argue w/my DD over homework and studying!!!

The best we can all do is expose our kids to all kinds of experiences and possibilities. That's what good parenting is all about. As one of my favorite gymnasts says, "gymnastics is all about keeping balance."

Thought provoking but I don't think it is very accurate. Internal drive can be taught simply by exposing a child to the list mentioned. It comes from within. And I don't think you see it much with 8 yr olds, though you may see the beginning sparks. Look in any competitive gym and you can easily spot the girls with the fire in their belly if you watch for a while. They train, interact with their coaches differently, and talk about their sport very differently than the other children. Most kids view their sport as a pastime, not their life. And it's clear by watching them train. There is nothing wrong with this, and you can't change it by exposing the child to more of their sport. They either are self motivated to excel or they aren't.

Hate to bring in the Dance Moms show but there is a perfect example. Both Maddy and Chloe are talented dancers but there is a clear difference between the two. In the way they present themselves, how they approach their training, what they say about themselves and their competition... Maddy had the internal drive, Chloe doesn't.....

I do agree with but I also think it would depend on the type of child they are. I know my dd watches the older girls snr and jnr international girls and wishes to be them. My dd thrives in a place like that where she sees the girls travelling to all parts of the world and she loves that. She is a determined young girl, if she wants something she goes and gets it. I think people are born like that and showing them what they can achieve if they want to put the commitment in would increase their drive.

Also Nog my child isn't 8 she is 7

I think that might be true for some children. Showing kids what is out there is always a good thing. To have choices you first have to know what those choices are.

Ok, I get what you're saying, but the last sentence you wrote says it all ---
I think people are born like that and showing them what they can achieve if they want to put the commitment in would increase their drive.
-- You may be able to show them what they can accomplish, but that drive is already there ("I believe that people are born like that") and showing them what is out there can only enhance their drive...Not make them driven, if that's not their nature.

I too believe that kids should be exposed to as many things as possible, let them experience as a many things as are reasonable/affordable, etc.,. But, I don't think that merely exposing them to such things will light a fire under them and 'make' them burn for it - if it's not in their nature to want it, that is.

Some kids just have a passion, whether it's sports, academics, dance, drama, whatever..(and that should be nurtured), but not all kids have a passion (or are passionate about what we would like them to be passionate about, lol) - and that's ok too. You can't force a kid to be passionate about something just by immersing them in whatever it is that we think they should be passionate about. Just my opinion.

The article is very interesting though....thanks for sharing

Also Nog my child isn't 8 she is 7
- In my earlier post I wasn't commenting on how old your dd is..... I was merely using 8 yr old b/c that is what the article was about.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Can't say I agree or disagree with it really. I think it has some good points but I also think some kids are just driven and some won't ever have the drive even if they know where they could "drive to. " My daughter loves gym, is driven in her own way, has seen the Olympics and been to college gym meets, even watched Nadia, Shannon Miller, Kim Zmeskal and others on YouTube, one of her old teammates is on a college team and she has coaches that were high level gymnasts. For her, it hasn't changed her drive. I believe she puts in her heart to gym and she is happy just doing what she loves and just taking it as it comes. No future expectations of elite or even anything beyond level 7 right now, she has repeated levels along the way and still loves gymnastics, I couldn't ask for anything more. And she has fun at practice and fun, positive coaching with high expectations, but not a ton of pressure . Works for her. Every kid is different though. She would crack in a super high pressure gym, others thrive. She knows what is out there and doesn't want it, nothing wrong with that!

Thought provoking but I don't think it is very accurate. Internal drive can be taught simply by exposing a child to the list mentioned. It comes from within. And I don't think you see it much with 8 yr olds, though you may see the beginning sparks. Look in any competitive gym and you can easily spot the girls with the fire in their belly if you watch for a while. They train, interact with their coaches differently, and talk about their sport very differently than the other children. Most kids view their sport as a pastime, not their life. And it's clear by watching them train. There is nothing wrong with this, and you can't change it by exposing the child to more of their sport. They either are self motivated to excel or they aren't.

Hate to bring in the Dance Moms show but there is a perfect example. Both Maddy and Chloe are talented dancers but there is a clear difference between the two. In the way they present themselves, how they approach their training, what they say about themselves and their competition... Maddy had the internal drive, Chloe doesn't.....

Heehee, I think this was an excellent analogy! For now! It is obvious when watching how driven Maddy is vs Chloe...however...and I have seen this with my boys playing baseball...Maddy could burn out and Chloe could reach a maturity when she herself decides that dance is the most important thing in her life and become more driven! Both girls were given the same tools and foundation, and while Chloe appears a little lack luster for now, if she decides to put more heart into it she could easily add that expressive desire that Maddy has found early/attained eary on. And, as Maddy moves into another age group soon, or is taught harder dance moves, she could experience alot more challenges and competition she is not used to or used to dealing with on a mental level. If you are always number 1 and now you are not placing or placing under others, your ego (and motivation) could take a hard hit! If Chloe went to another dance studio where she was the new "Maddy" and she felt more relaxed and confident under a fresh new teacher, she could become a different dancer! This is why I think it does take good coaching. A good coach knows how to deal with the challenges of a talented child both mentally & physically. That sloppy, bent legged L4 could have that hidden maturity/drive of an Olympian!

I think the point of the article is to say that you can't judge a child as not having any drive if they've never been exposed to the possibilities of the sport. It's kind of like blaming a kid for not working hard to get to college if he or she has never been told what college is or why they might be interested in going.

ETA: There is a lot to be said for maturity, too. You never know what a kid will grow in to (or out of!).

I think the point of the article is to say that you can't judge a child as not having any drive if they've never been exposed to the possibilities of the sport. It's kind of like blaming a kid for not working hard to get to college if he or she has never been told what college is or why they might be interested in going.

ETA: There is a lot to be said for maturity, too. You never know what a kid will grow in to (or out of!).

That is very true!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back