WAG I have an interesting fear...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
You know how it's common to have a fear of going backwards? Well, I'm scared of sideways skills... I used to have a side aerial on the competition height beam and a side summi. I slowly started to get scared because I would have those "that was close" moments when my feet would barely get on or I would miss my feet. It was a tiny fear though and I still did them everyday. Since I was scared I would fall (safely) more often than make them so my coach decided to take them out of my routine since I start from a 10.0 without them.

So season started and we worked only on perfecting our routines and skills in our routines... I didn't work any side summis or side aerials for like 2 months... Now that it's near end of season my coach said I need to work them when we do upgrades. I found myself with a big mental block. It's so bad that I won't go on the beam that's so low that it touches the floor and has panel matts on the side... It's so ridiculous that I just can't make myself go. It's just like the floor! I know all this and I still can't get myself to go. Ugh I had these skills on a high beam 2 months ago!

The fear is for anything sideways, side aerials, side tuck summis, side piked summis and even side aerials to 2 feet that I used to work...

Help?

Read the book mind games or watch the movie peaceful for a little inspiration. Both great mental fixes if you apply them but that's about all the help I can give you if your physically in shape and its just a mental thing. And also do a ton on a straight line on the floor!

so i guess we can call that sidestibular? :)

Hey flippo, sorry for straying off the thread as I'm about to, but hey, how often do I get a chance to top dunno on a thread. I mean this guy is everywhere. Just this morning I broke a few eggs into the frying pan, and I'd swear they took the form of a human face with little gaps near the edge of the egg white that clearly spelled dunno....:eek:

So dunno, maybe I can intimidate you with this far better twist of the word you've quite rightly made famous at chalkbucket.

When things are going right ................. It's vestibular :)

When things are going wrong................ It's messdibular :(

I hope that clears up any confusion. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back