I let myself down...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been doing gymnastics since I was 2, and I was actually a pretty great gymnast for a majority of the time. I was always one of the higher level girls on team, but lately that's not the case. During the past few years I guess you could say I've "goofed off" a little too much and I've gotten off track. I'm definitely not one of the best on the team anymore and I've gained a ton of weight. My family used to call me "skinny mini" and I guess I feel really bad now that I don't get that anymore. I feel bigger than everyone and I definitely feel like I'm one of the worst on the team. My fear has prevented me from accomplishing my goals and I feel like my coaches, at least most of them, have given up on me. I feel like the gymnast I used to be and the gymnast I am now are two completely different people, and that's not a good thing.

Besides the fact that I'm over self-conscience about my weight wherever I am, I feel guilty inside when I tell people I'm a gymnast. Because I'm definitely not a very accomplished athlete at this point. My main coach, who felt like a mother to me, is slowly giving up faith in me and I can tell she doesn't look forward to working with me most of the time.

Sorry if reading this seems like all I do is complain, but I love gymnastics so much...and I'm sick of being a "used to be."

Is there anything anyone can say to help me get back on my feet? I'd appreciate it so much.

I've been doing gymnastics since I was 2, and I was actually a pretty great gymnast for a majority of the time. I was always one of the higher level girls on team, but lately that's not the case. During the past few years I guess you could say I've "goofed off" a little too much and I've gotten off track. I'm definitely not one of the best on the team anymore and I've gained a ton of weight. My family used to call me "skinny mini" and I guess I feel really bad now that I don't get that anymore. I feel bigger than everyone and I definitely feel like I'm one of the worst on the team. My fear has prevented me from accomplishing my goals and I feel like my coaches, at least most of them, have given up on me. I feel like the gymnast I used to be and the gymnast I am now are two completely different people, and that's not a good thing.

Besides the fact that I'm over self-conscience about my weight wherever I am, I feel guilty inside when I tell people I'm a gymnast. Because I'm definitely not a very accomplished athlete at this point. My main coach, who felt like a mother to me, is slowly giving up faith in me and I can tell she doesn't look forward to working with me most of the time.

Sorry if reading this seems like all I do is complain, but I love gymnastics so much...and I'm sick of being a "used to be."

Is there anything anyone can say to help me get back on my feet? I'd appreciate it so much.

(Sorry if this sounds too cliche BUT...) If you were once and amazing hard working gymnast, then you still are! Just stop goofing off and start working harder, do what your coaches say but ten times better!
If the person you used to be was great then make the person you are now even better. :D

Dont think that!!! you have accomplished many things ordinary people could never even dream of doing. if you feel like your coaches are giving up on you, you need to talk to them. write down some goals for yourself and dont care how long it takes you to get them. some people start off getting skills really fast then as they get older it takes them longer to get them. dont get down on yourself for that.

as for your weight you are beautiful just the way you are. i doubt you look heavy. as you mature and go through puberty sometimes it is not healthy for your body to stay that small anymore. some people are naturally really petite and others are not meant to be that way.

"Besides the fact that I'm over self-conscience about my weight wherever I am, I feel guilty inside when I tell people I'm a gymnast. Because I'm definitely not a very accomplished athlete at this point." how could you think that. you are definetly accomplished. even if it isnt by having a ton of medals or trophies you are accomplished in your own way. you have been able to stay in the sport since you were 2, you have given up a lot of things to be a gymnast, you found something that you love, and you have achieved goals and gotten over mental blocks.

if you feel like you have goofed off to much in the past it is never to late to get back on track. you still have plenty of time to enjoy this sport and be serious. and if you arent the serious type maybe look into another program such as prep opt. it lets you spend less time in the gym and you can go at your own pace.

whatever you do dont give up!! we are all here for you and not in any way did it sound like you were complaining.

Sorry you feel like this, I just want to tell you that you are beautiful, and just a thought, are you doing gymnastics for the gold medals or because you love it? if you love it, what does it matter if you're not winning. Do it because you love it not because you win. Lack of motivation, take a week off, you will miss it and come back more motivated than ever!

Trust me, gymnastics is not about the medals. And don't get me wrong...I still place and rank pretty well in meets. It's just the comparisons I make between myself and my other teammates that bring me down.

Regardless of that, thank you all so much for your support. Although my weight and fear have a tendency to hold me back, I'll remember what you all have said to me and I'll be sure to stay focused and accomplish my goals. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments and feedback and it made me smile reading each and every one of your replies. I'll make sure to keep you all updated on how I'm doing :)

When you say weight is holding you back do you mean your weight physically stops you or that your self consciousness stops you, if its the later, Just remember that no matter what your size you are beautiful, its society thats the ugly one!

When you say weight is holding you back do you mean your weight physically stops you or that your self consciousness stops you, if its the later, Just remember that no matter what your size you are beautiful, its society thats the ugly one!

Well, now that I think about it it's a little of both. Actually, a LOT of both... obviously gymnastics is one of those sports that the smaller you are, the easier. That partially sparks my self-consciousness because through my eyes I'm the largest one on the team and most skills are more difficult for me to learn.

just because you are the largest one on your team doesnt mean it has to do with you learning skills. everyone learns at a different rate, no matter what shape or size.

just because you are the largest one on your team doesnt mean it has to do with you learning skills. everyone learns at a different rate, no matter what shape or size.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm doing whatever I can to argue, but I disagree. I used to learn WAY faster than I do now... and I definitely noticed a change in my accomplishments when I gained weight. Not to mention I have more weight to carry around and it makes in harder of my muscles and joints.

im not to argue with you or trying to prove you wrong :). yes some things do come easier when you are lighter. that is why many gymnasts feel that you have to be small to be good at gymnastics. im 5'6 with long legs that makes bars sort of hard to hit my hs. but i use it to my advantage because i am a good swinger on bars. everyone is not going to stay the same size through their whole life, and you have to adapt. :D

im not to argue with you or trying to prove you wrong :). yes some things do come easier when you are lighter. that is why many gymnasts feel that you have to be small to be good at gymnastics. im 5'6 with long legs that makes bars sort of hard to hit my hs. but i use it to my advantage because i am a good swinger on bars. everyone is not going to stay the same size through their whole life, and you have to adapt. :D

Very true...thanks! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back