Parents If you have to pack a lunch for your child to eat during practice...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
If you have to pack a lunch for your child to eat during practice, what do you put in it? My DD will practice from 8:30 to 1:30 three times a week, and she is supposed to bring a lunch. The gym is not air-conditioned, and it gets really hot in there. They also get an ice pop break during practice.

I packed lunches occasionally for school (usually she got a cafeteria lunch) but packing for the gym is different. I don't want her to get an upset stomach from the combo of lunch/heat/flipping around. I figured this may be the best place to find someone with experience in this situation. Thanks!

I'd probably pack something light, some fruit, maybe some cheese or turkey slices, and then have her eat a more substantial lunch when she gets home.
If you have to pack a lunch for your child to eat during practice, what do you put in it? My DD will practice from 8:30 to 1:30 three times a week, and she is supposed to bring a lunch. The gym is not air-conditioned, and it gets really hot in there. They also get an ice pop break during practice.

I packed lunches occasionally for school (usually she got a cafeteria lunch) but packing for the gym is different. I don't want her to get an upset stomach from the combo of lunch/heat/flipping around. I figured this may be the best place to find someone with experience in this situation. Thanks!

I have sent gym suppers every day of gym for 7 years. I tend to pack a series of tiny meals, so they didn't snorf down too much at once.

Cheese and crackers
yogourt and fresh fruit
dry cereal and a small container of milk
nut butters and crackers
hummus and veggies
bagel and cream cheese
home made trail mix with unsalted nuts and dried fruits,cheerios and throw in some dark chocolate chips for fun
Watermelon
Cliff bars - I think Z bars are good in the USA
Salad with dressing on the side
Grapes, you can freeze tham so they stay cool
BIG bottle of water (refillable to save the planet I hope!)

A good cooler with an ice pack, or two, should help things to stay fresh

I usually pack a standard kid lunch with some extra items like Yougart, crackers and cheese, fruit etc. The team girls usually can use the gym fridge to put their lunch into - the owners know they are there along time and let them use the "coaches room" fridge and microwave for lunch time. Ask your gym if the team girls can store lunch in their fridge - they must have one if they are getting freeze pops or if they do b-day parties.

Yikes! Can't imagine no AC! That would def cause a problem for my daughter as she gets very hot and when she is hot she doesn't like to eat!

That being said, I pack lunch every day all year as well as for summer gymnastics. I would focus on what she likes to eat rather than making it different for practice. If it's different, she won't eat it!

So, if she likes noodles or pasta, pack that, even if something hot sounds unappealing! I use those small metal thermos containers and heat in the morning...they stay warm for lunch.

My daughter never eats sandwiches so I often give her cheese and crackers. She loves salad and I just put dressing on the side. She also loves fruit so I am sure to cut up fruit and pack that. Cold pizza is fine with her, too! She also does fine if I pack whatever we had for dinner.

Things that are easy....a whole apple takes more time to eat than apple slices so cut it up first. You don't want her spending the whole lunch eating one apple!

Check first about nuts. Our gym has a no nut policy so ask before sending any nut product.

I'd keep it simple but overpack. Better too much than too little.

Send a full water bottle and remind her to drink! During the school year I only pack water but in the summer I will add a frozen 100% juice box. Helps keep things cold and it's slushy by the end of practice. A welcome treat for the drive home.

Oh....and speaking of the drive home, even though we are only 15 minutes, I arrive at pickup with food and a drink, always! She is starving!!

I don't know of any gyms in my area that have AC beyond the lobby area. In our gym they have a pool and they let the girls take a dunk in the pool if it gets too hot. then come back in dry off a bit change into dry leo and continue practice. I don't know how they do it because in July and Aug it's like a sauna in there sometimes.

I agree with alot of the suggestions already made. I freeze a bottle of water or Gateraide the night before and that helps keep the stuff cold and can be used during practice as well. I am a big fan of fruit, a container of watermelon, strawberries, bring an apple or banana or freeze grapes. Crackers are great, I love the little peanut butter sandwich ones. Yogurt sticks can be frozen ahead of time so will keep cool for a little bit. Sometimes I will send a half of a ham sandwich (dry, no mayo, ect..) just to give her some thing to make her last. Cereal is great, you can out some in a baggie. Daughter loves cheese-it crakers or goldfish, and we usually send enough to share! I also stock up on The Quaker oatmeal-to-go bars, granola bars and Nutri-grain bars. Those I get at BJ's or Costco by the big box!

Fruit is always a great choice, as the others have said. I mix fresh with frozen to help keep cool and appetizing. DD is a huge fan of berries of any type. Also the smaller size lunchables are good for a quick grain, protein, dairy combo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back