IGC, Woodward, Flip Fest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I posted this on the Gymnast Only forum. But thought I'd try here as well.

So I'm planning on attending one of the larger gymnastics camps this summer.
But I don't know which one to choose.

International Gymnastics Camp
Woodward
Flip Fest

Have you or your DD been to more than one of these? Which one did you like better.
What was your experience at the camp you went to?
Have you just been to one, how did you like the gymnastics AND other aspects of the camp?

Was it worth it?

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Go to IGC!!!!

You should go to IGC!!!I loved IGC!!! I'm going for the third time this year. You can go one week, or you can go all 10 and you will never get bored!!!! Being a level 8 gymnast, I feel really safe doing all of my skills and getting new ones. All the coaches and counselors are so nice. The counselors help you make new friends and make sure you are always comfortable outside of the gym. The coaches give great advice and help you perfect skills you already had and get new skills. You always feel so safe because of the coaches. There is a gym for every single event. The gyms are so big and you feel so secure when you are practicing. The schedule is great. It's like a gymnastics Disney World!!!! Half the day it's a specialized gymnastics camp and half the day it's a traditional camp. A different gmnast comes every week!! You can get their autograph and their is a Question and Answer with them. Having them their and coaching you makes you feel like you can achieve anything because they have been there, they know all the hard work it takes to get to the Olympics, if that is your goal. The cabins are so comfortable.You will always feel at home!!! On top of all of that, the food is so good!! There is so much to do at IGC!!!! All three camps are good but the best by far is IGC!!!! It is definately worth going for a week or 2!!!!
Whatever camp you go to, hope you have fun!!!!:)

Been to IGC.
I have to agree with Gym Gurl.
The counselors are great. I had to go alone because my friend got injured soon before camp. My counselors were always checking on me, talking to me, etc. They were great! :)
And as for the coaching, the coaches are all really strong, attentive, and have been trained well.
Amazing camp & HUGE!

From what I can tell a LOT of people like IGC a lot!
The only reason I'm considering Woodward is because I applied for a scholarship.
If the scholarship doesn't work out then I shall most likely go to IGC.

Flip Fest is a bit closer, but I've not heard much about it.

I've heard good things about all 3 camps. My dd (11) has only been to IGC so I can't help you with first hand information on Woodward or Flip Fest. We used to live in Pennsylvania and I chose IGC over Woodward because I personally wanted her at a camp with only other gymnasts and Flip Fest was too far away. Woodward is "action sports" camp which attracts campers of other sports like BMX, skatingboarding, etc. Dd's old Head coach didn't like IGC and went to Woodward every summer. IGC has more required gym time where Woodward offers plenty of gym time but it is more optional.

Dd enjoyed her time at camp. She did the usual camp things and opted not to practice during the optional gym time. Dd has some back tumbling fear issues so during testing, she told the "coach" she was scared to do a back handspring alone but would with a spot. They said okay but didn't let her do one with a spot. Therefore, she was put in a practice group that was basically Level 4's (she was level 5) so she didn't learn any new skills and was spotted on skills she was already proficent on. I personally felt it was too expensive for what she got out of it and if we were still living in PA I would have looked into a camp at someplace like Penn State before I sent her back to IGC.

Therefore, she was put in a practice group that was basically Level 4's (she was level 5) so she didn't learn any new skills and was spotted on skills she was already proficent on. I personally felt it was too expensive for what she got out of it and if we were still living in PA I would have looked into a camp at someplace like Penn State before I sent her back to IGC.

This happens at Woodward too. I thought the group my DD ended up in last summer at Woodward was a little basic for her, and I've heard other parents with similar complaints. I'm not sure if this happens because they're afraid of injuries or what. It's not that I think that my DD is bound for the olympics or anything, but when I pay a jillion and a half dollars for gymnastics camp, I'd like her to at least have a chance to try some new and challenging skills. That said, she had a blast at Woodward and is going back again this year. Hopefully now that she has all of her level 5 skills under her belt (kip, etc.) she'll be able to be put in a higher group this year. I would also think that, as you get older, you'd be able to assert yourself more in the gym, especially during open gym times, and make sure you're working on skills you need to be working on.

From what I hear, the Penn State camp is changing a lot this summer. A new husband and wife team are heading it. In the past, you had to be going into 4th grade to get in, but now they'll take 6 and 7-year-olds as day campers and 8-and-up overnight. I know my DD's head coach was not impressed with this camp previously. She said she felt like it was basically field trips all over Penn State campus with some gymnastics thrown in, but a teammate of my DD's is going this summer as a day camper (There are 5 girls from her team going to Woodward, but this little girl doesn't feel ready for sleep-away camp) so I'd be happy to report back on her experiences when she gets back. Per day it's more expensive than Woodward though (or at least the session at Woodward that my DD is going to). $500 for 3 nights!

My DD is a Woodward girl. Her old gym was a Woodward gym, her new gym is an IGC gym. She has always had a great time at Woodward. In comparing the two, Woodward is more open- open space, out in the field, the gyms are in open barns, and there is more freedom to choose your activitites. You can do gym all day, but you are only required to attend your scheduled session. DD has always been in a challenging group and has always learned new skills. (She is very independant and skilled in asking for what she wants) There are several college coaches who coach there. At IGC, there are small cabins in the woods, the gyms are inside buildings, the kids are more closely supervised and structured. The girls from our gym complain that they don't get to try any new skills and they are heavily spotted on everything. A lot of college gymnasts coach there. The food at IGC is excellent.

I really think it depends on what you are looking for in a camp. Both camps have their loyal enthusiasts. I think the ones that don't like them just haven't picked the right camp for their personality.

Completely agree with Flipper's Fans comments. My DD has gone to both camps the last two years and she definitely prefers Woodward (as does her head coach). Because there's more freedom to work on what she's interested in learning, I feel like she's learned concrete new skills at Woodward. I like that. IGC has plusses (food, more prestigious Olympians) and definitely provides lots of gymnastics training.

Completely agree with Flipper's Fans comments. My DD has gone to both camps the last two years and she definitely prefers Woodward (as does her head coach). Because there's more freedom to work on what she's interested in learning, I feel like she's learned concrete new skills at Woodward. I like that. IGC has plusses (food, more prestigious Olympians) and definitely provides lots of gymnastics training.

Agree with Flipper and Vagymmom...my daughter has done both IGC and Woodward and definitely prefers Woodward...

It really depends what you are looking for ro get out of camp. I have been to WW West not WW pa,but I would think they would be similar.
First at WW they have more open hours/freedom. Do you want to go to camp and do a ton a rec activities or do you want to spend your whole week in the gym?? WW gives you the freedom to do that. That is the plus of all the open gyms. it gives you the chance to decide what you want to take away from camp. Also it gives you the chance to be specific on what skills you want to learn at camp.

Second the traing groups are based on your skill level and where you are at. Even if you are with some younger girls they will pay just as much attention to you. They will guide you to what skills you want to learn at camp.
*Also it depends what week you go which group you will get into. some weeks there are more compulsaries and other weeks there are a lot more oprionals/higher levels. That is something might be affected when you go. But you will have no idea until you get there either way it is great.

The recreaction is fantastic and the food is liveable it is not horrible camp food. they have lots of choices every day for what to eat and if you dont like what they are serving there is always an alternate as well for allergies. I breakfast they always have cereal,toast,bagles,and a fruit bar+the main dish they are serving (changes each day) lunch there is toast,bagles, salad and at WW West oyu could get hot dogs,hamburgers,or veggie burgers. Dinner is the same as lunch it is all so good. you can look up the rec activities on their website. they are great!!

Lastly the staff. Woodward staff is fantastic!!! THey make sure that you are always right at home. Your counsoler is awlays checking in seeing how you are doing, the coaches are just amazing, and the nursers and trainers are sooo friendly. Also if you have a problem with wanting to change your cabin they will give you no trouble about it. One time I went I was in my original cabin, moved to a different cabin 2 days later and moved back to my original cabin 2 days after that and there was no problem!! They just want what is best for you. Also the campers are awesome. most of them are really nice and friendly and will do everything to make sure you are having a great time, and you will do the same to the other campers. It is all one big family!!! I still to this day keep in touch with girls I went to camp with over 2 years ago.

Hope this helps you a little bit!!

Optionals United makes a good point. At Woodward every effort is made to put you with friends and teammates, and if you arrive and want to be with someone specific, they will change you. At IGC, I know of a few times when kids were not put with their choice of roommate and there was no accomodation for that. Also, you can bring your cell phone to Woodward and call your parents if you want. You are not allowed to contact your parents from IGC.

My DD will be going to Flip Fest for the third time this summer. She went last winter for their Fall Adventure Camp and the summer before that for her first year. She always has a great time and has never had a problem with training groups or anything. In fact, her first time there, Nastia Liukin was the guest coach and Nastia taught DD to do a front walkover on beam. How cool is that! :D

Ah guys I cannot thank you enough for replying!!

It's really made me re-think what camp i would like to go to, to think about all aspects!!

Of course I'm still waiting to hear about the scholarship from Woodward but if that doesn't come through I'll have to put some hard thought into which camp i want to spend my money on.

After researching a bit more out of this forum and reading the replys in this forum I'm leaning towards Woodward no matter what.
But there is also a bit of a concern about which I'm able to get to and what that cost will be.
I live in Kentucky, so whichever camp I go to there will be either flying or driving involved in getting there.

As I said before, thanks so much!!

And flipper's fan, thanks for pointing out the cell phone situation. Even though I'm 17 I'm not keen on sleep away camps. I can do overnights for one or two nights but I've actually never been overnight somewhere for a week by myself. So this is an important factor as well, because I'd like to keep in touch with my parents.

Ah guys I cannot thank you enough for replying!!

It's really made me re-think what camp i would like to go to, to think about all aspects!!

Of course I'm still waiting to hear about the scholarship from Woodward but if that doesn't come through I'll have to put some hard thought into which camp i want to spend my money on.

After researching a bit more out of this forum and reading the replys in this forum I'm leaning towards Woodward no matter what.
But there is also a bit of a concern about which I'm able to get to and what that cost will be.
I live in Kentucky, so whichever camp I go to there will be either flying or driving involved in getting there.

As I said before, thanks so much!!

And flipper's fan, thanks for pointing out the cell phone situation. Even though I'm 17 I'm not keen on sleep away camps. I can do overnights for one or two nights but I've actually never been overnight somewhere for a week by myself. So this is an important factor as well, because I'd like to keep in touch with my parents.

Another thing I want to point out is that t here will be girls that are your age. Even though you most likely arent at the same skill level there is always a few 15 16 17 18 year olds when I have gone to WW. They will include you into "big girl" :) stuff even if you arent in their workout group. They just wont leave you there with the 12 years olds or something. Or maybe you hang out with the 12 year olds. my point is there will be some girls you age there and everyone is friendly and will let you hang out with them

Ahh good to know! I'm always worried about being the oldest at places!!

UPDATE!!
I GOT THE SCHOLARSHIP!!! I can literally hardly sit still I'm so excited. I got a letter today saying that I was accepted for a full week of scholarship!!!
Are any of you planning on attending this summer?
I can use the scholarship on either week #1, #5, #9 and #10.
Not sure which one I'm going to yet.

My dd has been to both Woodward - Lake Owen, WI and FlipFest. Of the 2, she liked FlipFest the best, and we are already planning on her going there again this summer. She didn't really learn anything new. However, picking up lots of new skills wasn't the only reason I sent her. It was more for the experience of going away to camp and meeting new people along with getting to do gymnastics too. She had a blast though, and Flipfest was great. The owners, coaches and counselors were full of energy and very enthusiastic. There were lots of other activities to be enjoyed in the evenings after gym.

IGC all the way!! I've been to IGC for the past two summers and I can't go this summer which makes me really upset :( I agree about being spotted too much, etc. but my coaches would agree to not spot me if I asked them. The reason I think it's fun to go as a gymnast, isn't because you get to do gymnastics, but because the girls there have similar interest to you and you always have something to talk about. The recreation and evening activities are awesome, food is amazing, cabins are clean and comfortable, staff is amazing!

I would chose flipfest because its closer and its a whole lot of fun. (i went a few years ago and loved it) and its not just gymnastics its also mud tug o war and swimming and paintball and lots of other stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back