WAG I'm annoyed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Women may still be dealing with body shaming (I never said it would go away) but at the same time they will feel more empowered to fight back.

I'm sorry. But this is very much a male perspective. We do not feel empowered to fight back simply because people are shaming Donald Trump for his comments and actions. You have no idea how pervasive this is and how insidious and how deeply rooted. Please, just stop thinking the current situation is going to empower women to fight back against body shaming.

I'm sorry. But this is very much a male perspective. We do not feel empowered to fight back simply because people are shaming Donald Trump for his comments and actions. You have no idea how pervasive this is and how insidious and how deeply rooted. Please, just stop thinking the current situation is going to empower women to fight back against body shaming.
How is this very much a male perspective when males are the guilty party (generally)? Whatever. I'm going to leave it here and leave it alone because I have struck a nerve with you, my opinion does not matter or hold any weight with you, nor do you wish this male to be supportive of ending a terrible problem that affects women.

Point 1: The statistics go through the roof in college gymnastics because this starts from day 1 on campus, and in many cases , even in the recruitment process...we know of a couple of gymnasts who were told directly by the college coach "lose 10 pounds and we'll give you a scholarship" ...gymnast was scoring 37 range; going to JOs , doing well at her current weight but lost the 10 pounds to secure her scholarship...gets to college that fall and gains 7 pounds ( skills still the same) , is offered a "medical" because she "can't control her weight"...leaves that school the next year and never to compete again (SAD :() ...another gymnast had to have weekly weigh ins videoed and sent to her future college coach to keep her scholarship offer!! And these are girls who hadn't even arrived on the campus yet! Once they get there, it's "fitness tests" (aka weigh ins) and comments from coaches for the next 4 years! So yes, with this surrounding you, the eating disorder level skyrockets...

Point 2: Still alive and well in the NCAA today...my daughter's school weighed them in front of everyone, announced the weight , the gain or loss ( claps or just shaking heads with the results) and then posted the results on the wall for all to see.....scale was given " a place of honor in the workout facility" ...

This stuff is happening TODAY??? In 2016? WTF!

How is this very much a male perspective when males are the guilty party (generally)? Whatever. I'm going to leave it here and leave it alone because I have struck a nerve with you, my opinion does not matter or hold any weight with you, nor do you wish this male to be supportive of ending a terrible problem that affects women.

I would LOVE for you to be supportive. But you have to acknowledge you don't have the same perspective as a woman who has dealt with this all her life. Just like white males cannot know what it's like to be a black male in this society, a man cannot know what it's like to have their body constantly up for review by men and women alike in this society. Your opinion matters, which is why I am trying to get you to see a different perspective. As a man with a daughter, your opinion on this is exceedingly important. If you minimize the issue, she will suffer for it.

It's great you're supportive of ending this issue, but you're delusional if you think that women are more empowered because of Donald Trump than before. I'm just asking that you educate yourself instead of throwing out platitudes and hoping that it's enough.

I would LOVE for you to be supportive. But you have to acknowledge you don't have the same perspective as a woman who has dealt with this all her life. Just like white males cannot know what it's like to be a black male in this society, a man cannot know what it's like to have their body constantly up for review by men and women alike in this society. Your opinion matters, which is why I am trying to get you to see a different perspective. As a man with a daughter, your opinion on this is exceedingly important. If you minimize the issue, she will suffer for it.

It's great you're supportive of ending this issue, but you're delusional if you think that women are more empowered because of Donald Trump than before. I'm just asking that you educate yourself instead of throwing out platitudes and hoping that it's enough.
I appreciate that. I will do my best to temper my optimism but remain vigilant and supportive.

Telling people that they can't have opinions on something because 'they don't know what's it like' has always struck me as...strange, to an extent. Every single person in the world has had different experiences, has a different perspective, and no two worldviews will ever be the same. Personally, as a woman, I have never particularly felt the "up on display" pressure that you clearly have - although that's not to say I haven't experienced any sexism at all. But does not being actively discriminated against make my perspective, as a woman, on what it's like to be a woman, wrong?

Of course, your opinion can be more valid that someone else's. 99% of us have never been in Damascus, Mosul, or Aleppo and probably understand only 10 or 20% of the political situation there. Yet, we in the West love sharing our opinions on foreign policy in the Middle East. Are our opinions invalid because we don't know what it's like to live there? To a certain extent, yes they are - but it doesn't stop us sharing them, being mindful of the flaws and biases in our beliefs.

To have discussions about important social issues, and to listen to a variety of persepctives, creates a vibrant, healthy environment for growth and change.

ETA: wanted to make it clear that I'm not posting this to "defend" either "side" here. These are (mostly) more general musings.

So tonight head coach just told me that I have to watch what my dd eats. :(
I have been told this by head coach several times every year since she was in level 2. I am very annoyed to the point of crying because my daughter isn't fat at all. She's short and stocky and yes she has a belly when she eats starch. And tonight she was showing a little belly than usual. Coach called me over to tell me that she can only get so much calories a day. I feel so ashamed because my daughter doesn't even really eat junk. I mean she's a kid so I let her have a candy bar or 2 sometimes. :( I am so offended. And I feel so sorry for my daughter. To me, she's beautiful and perfect.
Hey. Small question. What's DD?

Telling people that they can't have opinions on something because 'they don't know what's it like' has always struck me as...strange, to an extent. Every single person in the world has had different experiences, has a different perspective, and no two worldviews will ever be the same. Personally, as a woman, I have never particularly felt the "up on display" pressure that you clearly have - although that's not to say I haven't experienced any sexism at all. But does not being actively discriminated against make my perspective, as a woman, on what it's like to be a woman, wrong?

Of course, your opinion can be more valid that someone else's. 99% of us have never been in Damascus, Mosul, or Aleppo and probably understand only 10 or 20% of the political situation there. Yet, we in the West love sharing our opinions on foreign policy in the Middle East. Are our opinions invalid because we don't know what it's like to live there? To a certain extent, yes they are - but it doesn't stop us sharing them, being mindful of the flaws and biases in our beliefs.

To have discussions about important social issues, and to listen to a variety of persepctives, creates a vibrant, healthy environment for growth and change.

ETA: wanted to make it clear that I'm not posting this to "defend" either "side" here. These are (mostly) more general musings.

I'd just like to be clear I never said he couldn't HAVE an opinion on something. In fact, I told him specifically his opinion mattered greatly. What I said was that his thought process was coming from a male perspective and that it was based there. And that educating himself further would only help his daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back