WAG Increase in injuries at gym advice on prevention appreciated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
I have noticed an increase in over use injuries at DD's gym. This made me wonder, is there anything that can be done at home to help prevent injury? Any stretching or strengthening? I know from the nutritional side including protein and sufficient calcium and vitamin D are important, also I know rest and recovery are important but I was wondering what else might be helpful. It seems lower extremity stress fractures and strains seem to be occurring to many gymnasts and the competitive season hasn't even begun yet. Any advise appreciated:)

I am sorry I do not have any great advice but, have noticed over the years my DD has been a competitve gymnast some clubs are "known" for certain types of injuries.

I would keep an eye on it and ask some tough questions if needed. Is it a fluke year or a pattern emerging? If it is a pattern I woud sit down with the Head Coach and ask some hard questions to them. Such as: Why do we seem as a club to have so many of the same injuries?? Sometimes it is the number of hours a club has, other times I have been told it is due to improper technique being taught on certain events.

DD's club had 3 Optional a few years back with a particular toe injury this occured after a change in dance teachers. A change was made to dance and since then no more of this injury. Injuries do happen but re-occuring ones of the same type are abit suspect.

Good luck to you and I am sure Dunno will chime in also!

Not an expert here, just a mom, but I notice when the training switches from heavy conditioning, to heavy skills/routine for competition, the injuries start to increase. I think conditioning is the best thing that you can do, to help gymasts avoid injury. If you noticed a decline in conditioning, you might want to talk with the coaches about it. I would imagine it is a fine line for coaches to walk, parents don't complain about conditioning, just about skills and when "Susie will get her kip."

Too much, too soon, with too little preparation........

Hi repetitions are a hallmark of gymnastics training, and are an absoluted must too burn skills into mental and muscle memory. The problems come about when coaches see work with kids who's physical condition lags behind their learning and training rate.

Use the past olympic teams as an example of what physical preparation looks like as a final product, and ask yourself why these kids are so muscular. The simple answer is that strength combined with technique makes the sport easier, and the difficult skills easier to do. More than that.......These peak levels of fitness and a respect for the stress these skills place on our bodies reduces the chance (eliminate...I wish) for hi rep/overuse injuries.

The next questions to pose are has the gymnast been physically trained to support the stresses of the skill, and are these stresses being spread over an adequate period of time. Additionally, do the coaches recognise that one good attempt, or even a handfull of them, do not indicate the kid is ready for the "next step". I cringe when watching a coach "air spot" a kid on a skill, and proclaim..."you've got it" and then expects the kid to work the skill like a seasoned veteran. The reality, more often than not, is that the kid is making progress towards a destination but hasn't really arrived, and won't for a while.

If their physical preparation is lacking, eventually the wear and tear will break them apart. Recovery and nutrition are also issues.

Our gym has a strength coach with a PhD in kineseology in who comes in twice a week to work with the girls on top of their daily "regular" strength training. The different level rotate to her the same way they rotate to their dance instruction. Best of all, she makes it fun for them. Lots of core stength using fitness balls, etc. I think our girls have fewer injuries than either of the other gyms in town because of it. Though of course there are still injuries, and certain gymnasts who seem more prone to get them than others. Not sure if they just have bad karma or what? ;)

There are many factors which increase the risk of injury which need to be monitored.are the gymnasts doing enough strength work?

Are the gymnasts doing enough flexibility work?
Are the gymnasts doing enough drills for the skills?
Are the coaches spotting when needed?
Is the matting and equipment safe?
Are the kids being asked to do skills they are not ready for to satisfy competition requirements?
Are the kids going through puberty when risk of injury is heightened, especially during a growth spurt?
Have these kids just come off a break from training?
Are the kids training too many hours a week?
are the training sessions too long?
are they not doing enough training hours a week for the level they are working towards?
Are the kids eating well, drinking lots of water and getting adequate sleep?

Our gym had the same problem about a year ago. The coach replaced the old floor with a new one. She felt like the foam thingies (and yes that's how they are listed in the technical gym equipment catalog) weren't providing enough cushion/spring/what have you. So she bought a new floor.

I think it can happen when there is a sudden increase in number of reps of a skill. For example, last year DD got a foot injury when her group started doing a lot of vault work. Also, at the end of competition season here they switch from practising their routines to practising individual skills. So instead of doing a floor session with 5 or 6 times through the routine with one ROBHS each time, they start practising just ROBHS over and over, maybe 20 times in the session.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back