WAG Injuries :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so I have an injury in my shin/calf area on my right leg and it hurts whenever I walk on it. It doesn't hurt too bad that it's unbearable, but it's been hurting for a week and a half now. It kind of feels like a bruise, except I know for sure its not a bruise. I haven't told my mom or coach because my mom HATES when I tell her I have a gymnastics injury (she gets really worried). And I haven't told my coach because I know he would tell me to take a break and I really don't want to! If anyone has advice, please comment. And my lower back also hurts from time to time when arched, no one knows about that either :( PLEASE HELP!!

You are going to have to tell someone, and see a professional. You only have one body, and you need to take care of it. I totally get that you don't WANT to alarm anyone if it's nothing, but the truth is that nobody can diagnose you online, nor should they. the only thing people can do online is offer personal anecdotes. Without being a medical professional and seeing you in person there is really not anything anyone can realistically suggest...

Hey,

Sorry you're not feeling your best! Let me start by telling you about my own experience of this; I was 18, just getting into tramp again after a few years break. I landed squarely on my head, hyper extending my back and badly winding myself. None of the coaches were looking my way, and a friend who was spotting for me lifted me off the tramp, and I quietly (feeling rather stupid for landing on my head) lay flat out on some mats for a while. My back was hurting a lot but I didn't say anything. I think I might have even had a couple more turns on the tramp before I went home.

Two days later my back was still hurting but I went back to training anyway. I basically suffered through the pain for the next 3 months, at which point I mentioned to my physiotherapist my symptoms and what had happened. She was very concerned and arranged an MRI, which showed a break in the facet joint (the bits of your vertebrae that join them all up) which I'd been walking around with for the past 3 months. I was (thankfully, and very luckily) fine, and recovered with no issues, however it could have been much, much work.

So now, on to you. TELL SOMEONE. Seriously, I know what it's like, being out fbecause of injuries sucks, the recovery process in general sucks, making people worried because you are hurt sucks. What sucks more though is having chronic pain for the rest of your life, which would cause a whole lot more worry and pain! Most likely it's nothing and can be easily fixed, but you won't know that until you speak to someone about it.

Okay, I'm going to be straight forward. You are going to tell your parents, and your coaches ASAP. Then, you are going to see a professional medical care director. Okay? Sure your mom might get worried - especially if it's something like a small tear or stress reaction/fracture, but imagine how worried she'll be when she finds out you've been hiding an injury from her and you can't walk? Or even stand up on it? That is what is going to make her worried. She's your mother. Tell her. IF there is a reason you can't (she will physically abuse you), and you don't need to tell us, then you need to talk to a social worker or guidance at your school. There is no real reason to be hiding an injury, especially if it's real. So stop being stupid. You have one body. You have many gymnastics seasons - but only if you get yourself healed now. Nobody can or should diagnose you over the internet - so get yourself into a doctor/pt/etc. I'm sorry if this was harsh, but seriously..

Good news. We went to the doctor the other day and my bones are not fractured! The doctor said that I most likely just had shin splints and told me to ice them when they hurt. And now we wait to see if they get better!

Good news. We went to the doctor the other day and my bones are not fractured! The doctor said that I most likely just had shin splints and told me to ice them when they hurt. And now we wait to see if they get better!
Gad to hear that, shin splints are not fun, but way better than a fracture. How is your back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back