Parents Injury......need some opinions if I am overreacting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My friend's 16 year old daughter broke her neck in a car wreck. She hit the car, got out of her car, walked around, checked on her sisters who were passengers, checked on the people in the car she hit, crossed the street, sat down on the curb then fell backwards because she suddenly couldn't sit up any more. Her neck was broken in two spots, and her spinal cord was just laying there, millimeters from the break and being severed. So, it's obvious from that situation that a person can pop right up and still have a traumatic injury but the body being in shock might not recognize it's injured. My friend's daughter was fortunate, she shouldn't have been moving around like that. So no, to answer your question, I don't think you are overreacting, you don't mess around with neck and head trauma.

In my opinion, you are not overreacting. My daughter was struck in the head by a coach who was spotting her on vault and then hit he back of her head when she landed. She laid on the mat for a while after until finally the coach came to check on her.
The coaches did not do a proper head injury assessment and sent her back to practice. They never called us, they didn't tell us after practice, nothing. After She was diagnosed with a concussion, I emailed the gym to express that the situation was handled poorly. They never responded.
My daughter missed her entire season due to concussion. She has post concussion syndrome still months later and we have no idea when she will recover or if she will ever do gymnastics, or any other sport, again. The gym's response? Not so much as a get well card or a phone call. But they charge us monthly and refused to refund the meet fees so I guess they assume she is still alive despite the fact that they pretend she doesn't exist.
So you can give you gym an opportunity to explain. But don't be surprised if they won't discuss it. My child's gym is much more concerned about pretending the incident never happened and avoiding liability than they are about my gymnast's health and welfare. Needless to say, my gymnast had learned some very difficult lessons.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You live in America, sue the ********s!!!!!

This doesn't sound like they were being cavalier. Maybe they were shocked for a few moments and she got up before they could walk over.

After that they probably made the wrong judgment call but I would give them a chance to talk before you get worked up.
I think they were shocked. and she did get up, but she said it was a few seconds not right away. she said when she went over the coach asked if she was ok, she said her neck and head hurt and they iced her head, asked her the standard concussion questions, then she iced for about 10-15 min, then went back into practice. she said they asked again if she had a headache and she said she did, but she added that she had a headache before she fell. so they let her go back in.

I think they were shocked. and she did get up, but she said it was a few seconds not right away. she said when she went over the coach asked if she was ok, she said her neck and head hurt and they iced her head, asked her the standard concussion questions, then she iced for about 10-15 min, then went back into practice. she said they asked again if she had a headache and she said she did, but she added that she had a headache before she fell. so they let her go back in.

Okay. That was a mistake, but it doesn't sound like they intentionally ignored her or were cavalier at that moment. They definitely need more training. I'm not sure what your next step should be.

My friend's 16 year old daughter broke her neck in a car wreck. She hit the car, got out of her car, walked around, checked on her sisters who were passengers, checked on the people in the car she hit, crossed the street, sat down on the curb then fell backwards because she suddenly couldn't sit up any more. Her neck was broken in two spots, and her spinal cord was just laying there, millimeters from the break and being severed. So, it's obvious from that situation that a person can pop right up and still have a traumatic injury but the body being in shock might not recognize it's injured. My friend's daughter was fortunate, she shouldn't have been moving around like that. So no, to answer your question, I don't think you are overreacting, you don't mess around with neck and head trauma.
See this story just reinforces what I was told about possible neck injuries: Don't get up! Let someone assess you first, as getting up could make it much worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back