Parents Intense kindergarten+level 2 gymnastics. Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm so sorry. I have a huge problem with the amount of homework required in kindergarten in some schools. DD's was ridiculous too, but she hadn't started gymnastics by then. This may be a dumb question, but keep in my mind we live in a place with lots of school choice. Is there another school that's an option? Could you talk to the teacher? You are most likely not the only parent with this issue.

Reactions: sce
Here in Ontario, all day kinder starts the fall of the year you turn 4, but schooling is not mandated until Gr 1 (fall of the year you turn 6). When both my ODD were in junior kinder, I just kept them home a few days a week. The principal gave me grief about it but too bad. They weren't going to 'fail'! Would something like this be possible for you? I also won't be having my DD in grade 2 this year do any homework beyond spelling as her bus ride is too long. If her grades suffer (as in, she loses marks for uncompleted work, not that she's falling behind) well, no one will ever know in a few years.

Oh, and I explained nicely to the kinder teachers, and they were fine with it. Hasn't come up yet for gr 2 as so far we have had no homework (our school is fairly minimal on homework til grade 5)

The past couple of weeks, I've had her do her homework 2 nights a week, and we don't spend more than 15 min in it. I don't love that she's doing ANY homework, but her teacher was NOT open to anything less so this is what we are doing. It works MUch better on the car ride home from gym bc she focuses much better after getting the chance to move and get energy out.

We aren't able to choose public school, but we are looking into private school options or homeschool.

The past couple of weeks, I've had her do her homework 2 nights a week, and we don't spend more than 15 min in it. I don't love that she's doing ANY homework, but her teacher was NOT open to anything less so this is what we are doing. It works MUch better on the car ride home from gym bc she focuses much better after getting the chance to move and get energy out.

We aren't able to choose public school, but we are looking into private school options or homeschool.

I'm glad you found a workable compromise. Hope you find the schooling solution that's best for your family in the future.

Will the teacher allow your dd to complete the homework on the weekends instead of doing all of it on the weeknights? In first grade dd teacher allowed her to complete all the spelling homework on the weekends. She was super strict but I explained to her Dd was in the gym three nights a week at that time and I wanted her to really focus on the work and not rush through it. She eventually gave in and it was a huge help.

Sorry to hear about this situation, imo it's absolutely ridiculous public education doesn't demonstrate more flexibility to children....esp kindergartnerso_O:(

Ha ha--I have always told people we sent our daughter to kindergarten at age 4 because she was going to destroy the preschool if we didn't. I don't see what is wrong with a kid's going to college at 17, except that you lose a year to enjoy your child's company. I started thinking about that when ours turned 9 and I realized that more than half our time with her was already gone. :(
This. This kills me right now, said the mother of a newly 9....

I know...... What didn't I keep my late summer bday babies home for another year?Lots of other people do it.... They were ready, but I'm not gonna be ready on the other end of this!

Seems like a pretty good solution OP. Your dd sounds like a smart cookie so I'm sure as the year goes on her teacher will be happy with the amount of work she is doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back