Parents Introduction and Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Your daughter is a successful L9 at 11 years old. She got to L9 on low hours. Is she uninjured? Because the enemy of gymnastics at age 16-17 is injury ... if they're making it work and she's qualifying to regionals on low hours, hey, that's a gift. Unless you are going to switch to an elite track, it sounds like everything is just going wonderfully for her to be recruited.

IMHO if she's getting 16 hours of quality training time (3 in a group sounds heavenly!!), she's probably training hard! My DD is a 12 yr old L9 who trains 21 hours but she is in a group of NINE girls. At Regionals this weekend (and basically all season) she was as competitive as a friend and her teammates from another team who are homeschooled and train over 30 hours. It's all about how the time is spent, and as others have mentioned, there are many years till college.

At 11/12 I saw some issues with fear/nerves with my older dd and her friends. I think thats a combination of age, skills, hormones, etc.

I agree that she's probably fine. Our old gym in ND had those kind of hours but only one level 10 (so she was getting lots of attention) and she won nationals as a Senior and got an NCAA scholarship.

My daughter is an 11 yr old L8 and she had the worst meet of the season at Regionals, too. She was excited and looking forward to it but when it came down to it, I think the huge venue and 4!! judges all staring at her just got to her. None of our L8s did particularly well but our 9s and one 10 did so I can't help but wonder if some of it was the newness of if all. I'm hoping that next year goes better. They are all really young, your daughter even more so. I can't imagine that kind of pressure at their age!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back