WAG Is 13.5 hrs per week enough for level 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cassafrass

Proud Parent
In past years at DDs gym, the 7-10 all trained 20 (or more) hrs. Since the Great Level Change (as it has been dubbed on here) levels 5-7 train together at much less hours. What do you think? My DD also has a standing private for dance/chroeography.

It is definitely on the low side. My dd did 18 at L7 and now 22 at L8.

How is she feeling about her preparation for competition season?

It's a little low compared to many gyms. Our gym does 15 hrs at L7 and L8 (and I think we're low). This year we had a regional AA champion at L8 and many state event champions even with lower hours though. Quality of hours is often more important than quantity. More time on equipment has to help though.

Does she feel like she's progressing?

Her progression has been slow but steady. She has had recent skill progession from doing her first giant to doing 2 into layout flyaway. I have actually noticed she often does better on training with less hours and the new skill aquisition has occcured since higher summer hours dropped. I have been considering asking the HC if she could add hours by working out with the 8-10 group one day a week. I actually think some of those girls may be repeating 7 this year but were grandfathered in the higher training group. On the other hand, part of me is thinking "be careful what you wish for" !

do they make full use of those hours? Honestly, I have learned that less hours used fully is better than more hours; but not fully utilized. My DS went from 12 hours per week at his old gym to 9 hours per week at his new gym. He has gotten noticeably stronger since the switch. He also says that he is more worn out. They use every minute of practice where before the kids had more down time. (waiting in line, etc.)

That depends on the competitive scene in your area and state. In somegyms you'll see L7 kids at 2o+ hrs a week, and in others you'll see them at 12 hours.

Quantity is less important than quality time.

I agree that quality matters more than quantity...In DDs gym, the optionals team trains together (it's a small gym--less than 15 optionals girls) and they all train 18-20 hours per week. Some girls have almost no progression, but others seem to rocket out of nowhere. It is all in how they use their time. For example: DD HATES just standing around waiting her turn, so when they're on bars and there's more than 2 girls ahead of her, she's on the wall bars doing leg lefts or working handstand pirouettes on the floor bar, etc. HC doesn't tell her to do them, but she has never been a 'time waster' (for lack of a better phrase)...As such, her bars skills have become very strong while those of some of her teammates who have been with her the past few years seem to have stalled out.

I agree that quality matters more than quantity...In DDs gym, the optionals team trains together (it's a small gym--less than 15 optionals girls) and they all train 18-20 hours per week. Some girls have almost no progression, but others seem to rocket out of nowhere. It is all in how they use their time. For example: DD HATES just standing around waiting her turn, so when they're on bars and there's more than 2 girls ahead of her, she's on the wall bars doing leg lefts or working handstand pirouettes on the floor bar, etc. HC doesn't tell her to do them, but she has never been a 'time waster' (for lack of a better phrase)...As such, her bars skills have become very strong while those of some of her teammates who have been with her the past few years seem to have stalled out.

I wish that this would work for all kids. My older DD would totally do this; but if she does then the other girls "break". They won't stick with their spot in line. They are very much, "you got out of line, back to the end" so DD has had to learn that anything that she does has to do something she can do while standing in line.

my poor DD only gets 6 hours in the gym. And usually that's with a 12 to 1 ratio. We (team parents) have organized and they get conditioning outside the gym about 4 more hours a week. IT's possible to be a level 7, but form suffers. So, if it's quality time on equipment with good coaches, it can work.

My DD is an 8 yo L3 and practices 14 hrs a week including TOPS and up training (done the hour prior to reg. class). All hrs are utilized 100% of the time. So I'd say that seems low to me

Our 6/7 group trains 13.5 and our 8-10 group trains 19 hours. I personally think that is a big jump and perhaps an adjustment for some. Our 6/7s do well on those hours. Agree quality over quantity.

It seems low to me, and I think we're a fairly low hours gym. DD did 9 hours at old L4, 12 at new L4, and is 16.5 at new 5. Optionals 7-10 at our gym go about 18 hours.

My optional group only trains 14 hours per week. I personally wish we trained more but I am not sure I could juggle more hours as well as school and everyday life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back