WAG Is BT on beam necessary in L9?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GiantFlyaway

Coach
Gymnast
I've had BT on beam consistently for quite some time now. About a week ago, I decided it would be an AWESOME idea to land the BT with my left ankle rolled inward, resulting in a severe sprain and smallish fracture.

Here's the dilemma: I am so afraid to do it ever again. I am nearly 19 years old, and obviously will not be a national level or elite gymnast- I just love gymnastics and want to compete a solid L9 or L10 come January. Can I get around not having BT on beam? I was going to compete switch-split back tuck and BHS-BT; but I am so scared to do it again- and being this old, coupled with this most likely being my last year of gym, I'm not sure if it's worth fighting through the fear and mental anguish if I can find an acceptable alternative.

I hope this doesn't sound like I have a bad attitude. I'm just an old, injured scaredycat. :)

I'm just an old, injured scaredycat. :)
I wish I was as old, injured and scared as you.... says the 40 year old limping around the pharmacy with ongoing running injuries who is terrified of anything more than a CW... Lol! You're amazing that you can do these things! Good for you. I can't answer your question (my kid is just a L4) but GOOD LUCK!!!

Sure you can switch leap + tuck jump 3/4 (C+C for .2 bonus), BHS + BHS (no bonus), and then come up with another .1 in bonus from some other jumps/leaps/acro. Or just stick with a 9.9 sv :)
Fantastic, thank you!!

I wish I was as old, injured and scared as you.... says the 40 year old limping around the pharmacy with ongoing running injuries who is terrified of anything more than a CW... Lol! You're amazing that you can do these things! Good for you. I can't answer your question (my kid is just a L4) but GOOD LUCK!!!

Thank you so much!!

If you can do another flight element, especially a D acro by itself (side aerial, front aerial), that will help your routine be "up to level" even without the back tuck.

...I assume layout step out is not an option?

Now for your competition get yourself a routine you're comfortable with.
But if you want the opinion of another gymnastics oldie it's worth to put on a little fight, teaches you to not blame things onto your age too early, the age related injuries start soon enough. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back