WAG Is is vestibular if it is only one skill on one event?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I KNOW there are a thousand threads on this because I searched and read most of them. But none really answered my question. My dd has a thing with the back handspring back layout on beam. I haven't gotten into a real discussion with her about it because i know that could make it worse.

She does it on the mushy fat gym nova floor beam and even the low beam with mats. To give an example she is doing double pike dismount, switch split back tuck, aerial, side somi. She did the back handspring back tuck last year but her coach wants that combo with the split jump and the layout with the handspring.

She also tumbles like crazy on the floor with tons of new skills this year after yet more injuries last season.

So the question is if it is one skill is it vestibular or is this just a block she needs to get through? Not that it matters to me at all. We are at a great point where she has lots of successes to share and if she doesn't mention beam i don't bring it up at all.

But just morbid curiosity on my part really. I did find lots of info on what to do if it is vestibular or a mental block.

As always the collective expertise here is much appreciated.

:)

Just guessing, but I'd say that sounds more like a skill block that can be worked through with time and drills, rather than vestibular - although sometimes vestibular stuff first effects the "new" thing, then trickles into the old similar skills.

she's doing amazingly well - so I hope this one thing doesn't stand in her way - having coaches emphasize that which is NOT coming well over that which is is a sure way to make it spread to other events and skills

I think how she describes it is the key. Vestibular problems come out along the lines of "I tried to make myself go, but I couldn't." "Something just keeps making me stop." "I know I can do it, I've done it a million times on the low beam, but I just can't do it."

I think this is probably more fear of injury or not being able to make it but doing a back handspring layout on beam is pretty different than back tumbling on floor. So it's probably some of both. She needs more progressions. Unless she won't do the BHS BHS or BHS back tuck either? It sounds like she goes on some things though which is good. Can she try to figure out the next step, like using a carpet or yoga mat instead of a bigger mat, or trying with mats on a medium beam?

I think this is probably more fear of injury or not being able to make it but doing a back handspring layout on beam is pretty different than back tumbling on floor. So it's probably some of both. She needs more progressions. Unless she won't do the BHS BHS or BHS back tuck either? It sounds like she goes on some things though which is good. Can she try to figure out the next step, like using a carpet or yoga mat instead of a bigger mat, or trying with mats on a medium beam?

I am going to assume she is doing progressions because she has said she works on the floor beam. I don't even want to ask about it, let alone question what the coach is having her do, lol. I think she goes for it and falls off. She can do the handspring handspring and handspring tuck. At least she could, again, i don't ask.

Thanks for the advice.

I think how she describes it is the key. Vestibular problems come out along the lines of "I tried to make myself go, but I couldn't." "Something just keeps making me stop." "I know I can do it, I've done it a million times on the low beam, but I just can't do it."

No i think she goes for it and falls, even though she does it on the low beams and floor beam. Thanks for the help. I just don't want to make her feel pressured at all.

Just guessing, but I'd say that sounds more like a skill block that can be worked through with time and drills, rather than vestibular - although sometimes vestibular stuff first effects the "new" thing, then trickles into the old similar skills.

she's doing amazingly well - so I hope this one thing doesn't stand in her way - having coaches emphasize that which is NOT coming well over that which is is a sure way to make it spread to other events and skills

I know. I wish they didn't think she has to do this skill. Maybe it is some requirement for her level. Thanks.

Well if she goes for it and falls she probably just isn't 100% confident yet. That doesn't sound too bad though. It's hard to get this series. So if she's even throwing it with feet landing on the beam thats pretty decent.

Well if she goes for it and falls she probably just isn't 100% confident yet. That doesn't sound too bad though. It's hard to get this series. So if she's even throwing it with feet landing on the beam thats pretty decent.

Yeah she came home from gym today with a video of a back handspring back full tuck on the mushy beam telling me she will have it so she doesn't have to do the layout. I am now thinking mental block.

Back tuck with a full twist is amazingly difficult. I am in awe. She is doing so well.

Wow, that's amazing! My DD is no where close to a full on the beam, but she is still trying to get over a mental block on back layouts on floor. Luckily she's a decent twister, so she'll be competing a 3/2 or 2/1 and a full instead of a LO on her floor routine next year. And she's okay with front layouts, which is good since she says she can't do both a 3/2 or double full and a front full in level 8 as only one tumbling C is allowed?

Hello! How is your DD doing now? Was it vestibular after all? Did she get the skill back and how did that come about? My DD struggles with gaining and losing skills on beam so I would like to learn from your experience.

Hello! How is your DD doing now? Was it vestibular after all? Did she get the skill back and how did that come about? My DD struggles with gaining and losing skills on beam so I would like to learn from your experience.

Thanks for asking and i don't think it was a vestibular thing.

She now loves the handspring layout and couldn't imagine doing a handspring back handspring because what if you miss your hands? Lolol!

The full tuck was a flukey thing I think when they were playing in gym, she sure wont compete that.

I think i said this previously, but my best advice is to say nothing other than how was practise, and either good for you, or hope next practice goes better for you.

Can you tell me how long it took for your daughter to get her skill back? And what process did you and she go through?

Can you tell me how long it took for your daughter to get her skill back? And what process did you and she go through?

I read your question to my dd and her first thing she said was.. Not you mom, me and my coach.

Which is true, my part in this whole thing was to make it the skill never to be said aloud.

She thinks she tried to get it to high beam too fast, and that the scary wipe out was the thing that pushed her over the edge.

So they went back to the floor line. Then the mushy fat floor beam. Then low beam. And went back if she needed to. Made it baby steps in moving the beam up about 5 cm a week or so to get it up to FIG again.

And her coach backed off a lot but if she was at the same height for a whole week she told her it was time to move up it's safe.

And she said it was pretty much 2-3 months.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back