WAG Is It Possible???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Justmehere

Gymnast
I am 17 years old and junior in high school. I am starting gymnastics at a semi- local YMCA that goes to level 3 and does not have a team program. I am also hoping to do ballet and tumbling at a local dance studio. Next may after I graduate High school I plan to go to college in a bigger town, where they have a phenomenal gym. And my true question here is: Is it possible to go elite?

Not to burst your bubble but i would say if you are just starting gymnastics at 17 yrs old, then no, elite is not in your future..not to say you couldn't do gymnastics but to get up to the skill level of an elite, with an adult body to start, will make it next to impossible..

Unfortunately, I do not think it's possible for a 17 year old to start gymnastics and become elite, even if she has access to the best gym and coaches in the country. It takes many years of strength/flexibility training and skill progressions to even get to optional levels, let alone elite. Many phenomenal gymnasts who start at 3 years old and have access to amazing coaches don't make it to elite gymnastics.

You obviously have a passion for gymnastics and that's wonderful, but you will enjoy the sport more if your goals are realistic. Have you considered power tumbling or cheer? Both include elements of gymnastics.

GOOD LUCK!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back