Is She Too Old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Boatergal

Proud Parent
I have a 13 yr old, 7th grade L8 gymnast. I am thinking 8th and 9th grade she will do L9 (seems to take 2 yrs). Then 10th-12th grade L10.

Is getting to L10 in 10th grade too late to create interest with colleges?
We are realistic about not looking at the top 15 schools. They are picking elites.

She just wants to compete at the college level.

I think it matters less when she gets to Level 10, but what skills she has. If she does her first year in Level 10 as a 10th grader with solid skills for college gym I think that's perfect. If she reaches level 10 as an 8th grader, but really just has the minimum skills to compete Level 10 it doesn't really matter than she has more years in Level 10. It's pretty standard these days for girls to commit their junior year (some even as sophmores) so it would be more difficult if she didn't make level 10 until her junior year.

Look at the schools she has her sights set on and look at their skill level. For example, most college gymnasts vault a yurchenko full. A stock bar routine for NCAA is a same bar release, a high to low transistion and a dismount.

Hmmm. That is interesting to look at it that way. Makes sense to see what the girls are doing skill wise at the places she is interested in. Thanks for the feedback.

L8 in 7th grade is enough time. What she needs for college gymnastics are the requirements and 10 SV routine on at least some events (or a really standout event). So by 11th grade hopefully she would have at least one D skill on the events she hopes to continue in and then connective bonus and all the requirements. On bars it would be preferable to have a same bar release, not just a transition from low to high bar, but it is not an absolute necessity. Dismounts on bars and beam, need a C dismount (minimum usually a tucked double back off bars and front full twist off beam OR back 1.5 twist). Acro series with a salto on beam (ex: BHS back layout). Vault will generally need a 10.0 (ex: laid out yurchenko 1/2 or full). If she can contribute on other events and they just need a vault substitute, then showing for example a front front vault would show she has potential to contribute on that event, but probably wouldn't be a starter or big scorer in the line up.

Many girls doing college gymnastics did their first year of L10 their sophomore year. A fair amount may have done it their junior year. I even know walk ons who weren't L10s in their senior year, but they usually had some mitigating circumstances. If her goal is just to get on a team as a walkon, if she can avoid injury and keep progressing, five years should be sufficient. A scholarship is much harder to count on because that depends so much on her skills and competitive ability/experience vs how they're looking to fill their line up. When you talk about girls verbally committing early that's generally for scholarship purposes but there are a fair amount of walk on spots. Some are recruited spots where there's an unofficial commitment around the junior year or even the beginning of the senior year I've seen, it really depends on the individual teams and how it works out for them. If you're walking on then you need solid skills with potential to contribute to the line up (i.e. generally at least the base routines) but it won't generally be as competitive as the scholarship pool.

I made the assumption that you meant for a gymnastics scholarship boatergal, not just the opportunity to be on a college gymnastics team.

Another thing I would do is let her coaches know that this is her goal. Hopefully they've had some experience sending girls to college and they will know what is needed and what she needs to do.

Somewhere I read a timeline for a potential college gymnast to follow. It might have been in USAG magazine a few years ago. You might do a search for that online.

Yes, it's important for the coaches to be on the same page. She's not in high school yet, but when she is you can look at starting to videotape, most people are creating youtube channels with their info and videos now, easy to send around at least for an initial look for the coaches.

It's important going into high school to look at the NCAA Eligibility Center (formerly clearinghouse) academic guidelines. Most gymnasts will meet these but it is important to be aware nonetheless.

Tom Kovic (former NCAA gymnastics coach who is now a college recruiting consultant) is the big name as far as articles/information. Here are likes to two of his articles:
http://www.usaigc.com/SitePDFs/DevelopingaWorkingOrganizingSys.pdf
http://www.usaigc.com/SitePDFs/TheTeamApproach.pdf

And his service: collegerecruiting.tv - Membership Page Which is obviously a bit premature, not to say it's necessary to hire somene either but some people find it worth it in navigating the process, the cost is really less than the cost of one application to a school if you don't get the fee waived. Obviously you should make sure that what you're paying for is relevant to gymnastics and also worth it, but Kovic is pretty well respected in the NCAA gymnastics world. Again this is more relevant information for someone with a kid in high school now.

I don't have a reliable source for this, but I've heard that one should be L10 by 10th grade, and (if they want a scholarship) standout their junior year and be able to demonstrate D or E skills and full connection bonus.

Sounds like your daughter may be right on track.

Focus on grades

We are realistic about not looking at the top 15 schools. They are picking elites.
Perhaps you were using hyperbole, but even the top six schools aren't fully staffed with elites. I agree with all the previous posters who state that having E skills or 10.0 start values will make any gymnast attractive to any program. I would add, however, that the better the grades, the better one's chances of getting on (and staying on) any team. The ideal walk-on is someone with 10.0 start values on at least two events (especially bars) and outstanding GPA and test scores. Scholarships tend to go to girls who have placed in State, Regional and National championships, although, again, if you have tape/youtube of 10.0 start value skills in either the right or enough events, you can get a scholarship. Again, grades will be a tie-breaker.

Also, if you can't get a scholarship, or want to expand your options to the Ivy League (where there are no athletic scholarships), or any other place where your daughter might want to walk-on, great grades with qualify her for academic scholarships.

All of the above assumes that your daughter's desire to "compete in college" is with the NCAA. There is also meaningful competition between schools in the NAIGC.

Really good Level 9s can do NCAA

Reinforcing the notion that skills rather than level matters, Taylor Madison, a Level 9 from Airborne in California, has committed to Cornell for next season.
Taylor Madison.

A couple of years ago, another Level 9 from Airborne, Avery Gee, made the University of California womens gymnastics team.

And, if your daughter is thinking about a Division III school, there are some that take Level 8s (although the higher ranked ones still primarily look at Level 10s).

I know a one or two girls who were L9s their senior year currently on lower ranked D1 teams. Though there were extenuating circumstances...one of the girls mentioned above seems to have had a significant injury and rehabilitation period (this is what I suspected after just a couple minutes of looking on youtube)...which means she probably at or above the skill level she is competing now over a year ago. Same for the girls I know.

So mostly I think the lesson here is that skills matter over the level you are competing. Just competing L10 with missing requirements, etc isn't the ticket.

What is it with the state of TN? Are we not allowed to have college gymnastics? Seems all we can do is "stick and ball" sports.
*sarcasm aside_honest question here*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back