Parents Is success in level 6 a good predictor of success in optionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks for the thoughtful answers! Sometimes it seems like the gymnasts are "behind" if they don't start Level 4 at six years old and then move up a level every year (or skip levels altogether).

I think my DD falls into this category. She could repeat level 6 multiple times and it would raise her 6 scores but not improve her outcome in level 7. She has scored a 34 usually with 9s on beam high to mid 8s on floor and either high 7s or low to mid 8s on vault and bars just depending on if she hits that day. She gets discouraged when she scores low but yet she already has most level 7 skills. So does repeating this level really help or does it run the risk of being more discouraging and boring and increase the chance of just demotivating her. Not that anyone is asking her to repeat at this time. It's simply I see girls with less flexibility and strength and whom won't even try 7 skills out scoring her easily and it frustrates her. She btw is 9 so not tons of experience by any means. I just wondered if others had gymnasts or kids that succeeded at optional levels despite being not the best compulsory gymnast or if those kids that are getting 36s in 6 with little effort will continue to kick her booty lol.

My DD has not scored in the 36s in L6....generally 34s and 35s. She has all L7 skills but her giants at this point, and she is hoping she does not have to repeat L6. As for whether those getting 36s in L6 will continue to kick our girls' butts in L7, I know they will, at least my girl's! Mine is also 9 and her age group is always the toughest. From experience, the 8-10 age group at L7 scores very high.

around here, the gyms with lots of kids in these age groups are generally higher-hour gyms who are attracting the best gymnasts in the area. One such gym has had Olympians in the two previous Olympics. Their L5s practice several hours more per week than our optional level girls. The girls seem to start team earlier, score better, don't repeat levels and sometimes skip levels.

Our gym, and many others around ours just can't compete with such a high hour/highly intense gym. My DD is the youngest in her level by more than two years...it's just not common to see girls in her age group at the less competitive gyms (like ours).

Also, it just seems if you have a 10-year-old L5 or a 12-13 year-old L6, they've repeated a level or two along the way. That's not to say they can't score very well....it just seems the girls who have more potential aren't repeating compulsory levels as often.

My munchkin was an okay compulsory gymnast (low 34-mid 35's)... usually placed in L4/L5/L6 as a 7-9 yr old but rarely won AA outright. She did much better at Prep Platinum as a 9 yr old (36-37+). Now she is getting consistent high 37's and placing in top 2 AA every meet at L7 as a 10 yr old. She has really come into her own in optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back