Parents Is this acceptable?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Swiftli

Proud Parent
A head coach gathers up the lvl 5 & 6 girls she coaches and sits them down for a pow wow during practice. Reminds them that while she loves to coach them, so is also a coach to another girl. This 1st time lvl 9 girl is the ONLY girl from the gym to make it to lvl 9 regionals and it is ultimately important that she gets her to the Junior Olympic Nationals. She further apologizes to them for the constant interuptions to their practice while she tends to this girl. The gym has a complete group of optional coaches which did not include herself (until now if seems).

The level 5 & 6's should be gearing up for sectionals and states in a few weeks but instead are sidelined for the need to get this one gymnast to Nationals. Does this seem fair?

What makes the other lvl 9 girls still come to practice to watch the focus be entirely on one gymnast?

Have I mentioned that this lvl 9 girl is head coach's kid?

How would you handle watching your daughter get partial attention to her practices the weeks before states? Obviously the head coach doesn't want her kid to get partial attention and making sure it doesn't happen

sounds to me like head coach needs to hire another coach to take her lv 5-6 spot while she's training her daughter.

I think we are all in agreement here that gymnastics is expensive...you aren't paying through the nose to have your daughter sit around during practice doing nothing. Not to mention the morale of these girls who are trying to get prepared for their own meets...(did I mention expenses yet?-meet fees, team uniforms and everything that goes along with them...lol)

Its a business...you are paying for a service. She agreed to privide the service...you may need to remind her of that...just sayin

Hope it resolves itself, for your own daughter's sake...good luck!

Have I mentioned that this lvl 9 girl is head coach's kid?

Wow. I was thinking this was not too out of the ordinary until I came to that part. Yes, there is some priority given to high level gymnasts who may qualify to nationals, but no way should this woman, who doesn't normally coach optionals, be pulling herself away from what she's supposed to be doing so she can focus on her daughter.

That surely doesn't sound fair. In my opinion it doesn't matter how high you are, you are working just as hard as other girls. And you pay for the coaching they get and everyone just deserves to get the paid for attention. Especially if they are still in competitions.

Has anyone mentioned it to anyone yet?

It doesn't seem fair but if the HC and owner are one in the same, you basically have no recourse. If the owner is a different person, I would speak to the owner about it (because you said there was a group of optional coaches so it's not as if this Level 9 is left to flounder on her own) and ask why the HC's daughter can't be coached by them. If she was the ONLY level 9 that qualified , I can see why they might pull her out to work with her but it should be with optional coaches, not your daughter's Level 5/6 coach.

If she's the HC she's got the perk of (most likely) keys to the gym. Plus the convenience of this gymnast being her daughter. I'd put that to work if I was her and get her in the gym in a way it doesn't interfere terribly with compulsory prep, or the rest of the level 9's.

It certainly sounds unfair to me. Especially given that the 5/6s still have States. I agree with Linsul, if she is HC and this is her daughter, then she should be able to bring her in other times to give her 1:1 time. All the other team members deserve a coach during this time, too, not just her. Good luck with the situation, sounds sticky.

Hmmmmm.....no this is not right. Our gym trains elites down to L4's all at the same time and they are treated equally.

But--I don't think L9's go all the way to JO Nationals---the highest they can go is Westerns/Easterns and that meet is in the beginning of May.

Sorry for your DD---let us know how it turns out!

The HC needs to make arrangements to have someone else coaching your Level 5/6 girls. In no way is that fair to them, especially since it's only one girl. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve a chance either but it's not fair to the L5&6 girls who work hard, too, and are gearing up for some important meets ~ to them and their families. I'd ask for a 'pow-wow' with this coach and the parents and get some answers. That wouldn't go over very well with me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back