WAG Is this fair...or even really happening?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Conversely @Flossyduck, do you (or anyone else) know what happens to elite kids who have passed compulsory grades but want to move off that path? Or if the need another year, do they not compete for a year then do ooa?

Most kids I know seem to give up completely. I remember reading something in the regional rules about not being able to compete if they pass a compulsory. Can they step down to grades?

You can step down to grade 14 from compulsories at the moment. And then go back to compulsories and then back again :) You only can't step down from National Grades at the moment.

I am wondering / hoping this will change with the new grades.

I have known compulsory kids opt out through choice before, either because they don't like the high pressure environment, or because they had other sporting interests and didn't want to commit the time, or because they would have needed to move to a club with more facilities and preferred to stay at their current club.

I can't say generally, but at our club many 'elite track' girls move to national grades if they want to leave that path or are struggling to keep up. I didn't even know that was an issue. They end up competing national grades in March/April and voluntary levels ooa in Sep/Oct, which seems to work out fine. The ones that quit, usually do so because they are injured or have other issues and don't want the high hours and commitment.

I agree with all of that. My post was really just saying that I like the fact you can't repeat a grade in this country if you have passed it and that's a good thing. You could never spend three years competing grade 13 just to look good for the team...

If girls are being held back to compete lower grades than they are capable of, then that's a whole different argument. I don't agree with that. I've heard it argued that it's better for girls to medal than struggle, but on the basis you an never guarantee a medal and girls may end up quitting before they ever get to show the world what they can do, then that's rubbish!

I don't really know if our club does that, but if it does, we're talking a grade and a couple of skills maybe... nothing like that you have experienced which sucks!

I am so glad you cant repeat grades here too @flossy duck the idea that my dd may have to pass her grade 13 over again next year so her club could sandbag any medals, my goodness she would be fed up !!! Her gym would never do that but I expect a few may.
Though I think you could easily get stuck at novice level too @Faith (I think novice/etc in our region is sort if like 00a) as I think only the top 3 have to move up but although there is no move up score I don't think.
Also in our region some of the girls who did elite previously do drop back to these comps so they train and have trained lots of hours so I would expect they will be the ones who medal. My dd is a really good club gymnast but certainly not a future elite ! It's hard isn't it to get the balance right of what level they should be competing? It's really nice as a parent if you know they are so well prepared they are most likely going to do really well :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back