Is this how most advanced rec programs are? warning:Rant!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was confused reading through too--thinking this was a rec class you were talking about. I would expect different things from a rec class vs a developmental--getting ready for team--class. In this case, i would talk with the main coach (the older one--not one of the younger girls) about what the goal is for the class and ask how your dd is doing. Mention that she seems bored and even comment that she doesn't appear to be getting much focus on form or skills--ask if this is normal.

What you describe is pretty normal for our kinderflips class, but not for the team track program. When you move and check out a gym you're interested in, I would mention that she was in the developmental track at her old gym and ask if they have something similar. If they evaluate her and she's not ready, at least they know that's what she's working towards.

I get that I really do. What I am seeing is an overwhelmed coach with an assistant who is "in training" responsible for 8 3-5 yos. My dd flyS through the obstacles because no one is around to watch her.

I actually think that ratio is excellent. When DD was in pre-team there were 15 of them with 2 staff/coaches. One "head" coach should be able to "man" the toughest skill while the other assistant should be able to oversee the group. I think 4 year old do need obstacle courses and such- it's all about building strength and shapes. Maybe she sees her group as needing more strength and aerobic/stamina building- thus all the trampoline and tumbl-trak work. She is young- hang in there a bit and see if there is a "method to the madness"

And, I wonder because most gyms don't list their pre-teams, teams, etc- do you think maybe she is in the class that is the step before pre-team? The title Advanced Rec sounds like... well a "rec" class for more advanced kids. Usually at most gyms in my area the pre-team has a name- Hots Shots, Super Stars, Mighty Mites, etc. Is she in the class that comes before the Pre-team- with 3-5 year olds in it sounds like she may be which is why it might seem more "recreational" than you are desiring for her. Our gym has a class like that for the preschoolers who are ready for something more, but not the intense nature of Pre-Team- the class feeds into Pre-Team, but is primarily a weeding out class where kids are chosen for Pre-Team from- those with the focus, strength, stamina, listening skills, etc needed for Pre-Team are chosen.

I don't think you have anything to worry about if you move back to the US. 99% of the gyms here are looking at 5 to 7 year olds for pre-team your DD isn't even 5 yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back