Is using hand me down grips a definite no-no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
These are the right size, just that they are used. They are Hot Shot grips.

I was hoping for DD to try them and then I could buy her some new ones. She doesn't like her Bailies Narrow ones and on her bar at home, said these felt like she didn't "even have grips on."

I have heard not to wear someone else's because if they were wrong size, especially if they are too big, but can't find info about used grips in the correct size. Especially in the thin leather that don't seem to hold any shape.

Thanks.

It's a bad idea to use somebody else's grips if they plan to use them again. You don't want one pair of grips to go back and forth between two people.

However, I see no problem with using hand me down grips as long as she's the only one using them.

I've passed down a couple "used" pairs of hotshot grips to younger girls on our team. By "used", I mean they were my daughter's spare pairs and were only used a few times. If the grips you are getting are in good condition, they should be fine. In our experience with hotshot grips, they tend to come apart around the wrist bands after a season of regular use, so make sure to check for frays or tears in this area. Also, make sure the grips themselves are not stretched too thin. The grips my DD wears on a regular basis would not be suitable for anything but the trash bin after a season of day-to-day wear! If the grips are in good, SAFE condition, then all should be fine.
:)

I think a big reason not to use another persons grips is that everyone's hands are a little different and the grips kinda break in to the shape of the hand. But if your DD feels comfortable with them and the leather isn't stretched too thin already, it should be fine.

Sometimes grips are trimmed to size to fit a gymnast (never in length), especially when they are younger with smaller hands. I know that was the case for us. I used to take a small file to expand the holes, and snip off and sand off the sides. Given that, I haven't done that for quite sometime so I just assume the replacements just fit my daughter right out of the shrink-wrap.

To answer your question, I think it's the most important that the gymnast is comfortable with the fit. Otherwise, it's not an issue to get something in quality that is used (but in at least close to like-new condition).

If there's no wear that interferes with using them, and they're comfortable on her, I wouldn't see a problem. The general problem with used grips is that by the time someone is discarding them, they're either not in good condition, stretched thin, etc. But if for some reason these were a spare pair or barely used or something, I guess it could work.

Thanks everyone. I decided to order her a new pair. They were the gymnasts only grips, and though the leather part looks great, the wrist strap has some wear and rips. I had hoped that maybe using the older one would help her transition to her new pair that she doesn't like, but better safe than sorry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back