WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding this- in July they are planning to release a new set of rules that may significantly affect routines (although it sounds like only for optionals) for the 2018-19 season?

I just want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding this- in July they are planning to release a new set of rules that may significantly affect routines (although it sounds like only for optionals) for the 2018-19 season?

That is the talk at our gym. Like I said, this is a rumor, (one coach heard from a coach at a different gym). This is why I brought it up here. I am wondering if they would make such drastic changes without any time to prepare the girls? We have been hearing about the vault change for a couple years now, so why would they make these other significant changes that are much bigger without any warning? I didn't share this to panic anyone! I just figured if there was some truth to it, I wouldn't be the only one hearing this!

Looking at it through a different lens, if this proves to be true — it seems a whole lot like self-sabotage. Why on earth would they want to pull the rug out from under the higher level kids in the sport? The kids that have dedicated years of their childhood to working their way up the levels deserve a bit more respect (and so do their coaches).

Now doesn’t seem to be the time to be making drastic changes that haven’t been well through through and communicated well in advance so there can be adjustments to training. Just seems like there are so many other critical things they should be focusing on...but I guess we wait and see what comes when the update is published. o_O

The rules should be released tomorrow. As in, the new COP ships tomorrow and from my understanding will be available digitally tomorrow. The JO COP ONLY affects levels 6-10. Major compulsory changes won't happen until 2021.

I was told that there will be few changes to the code this cycle, except for the level 6/7 vault shifts. USAG might just have been too busy with all their mess.

I was told that they don't want to require kids to rotate immediately to their backs since meets often have really hard/new mats. They are afraid of concussions, and landing feet first is a safety precaution, even if they then over rotate to back. Again, we'll see tomorrow what's actually in the code.

As for the "gap" in the pictures. My guess is the code will specify how high the mats have to be, but coaches can pull them forward and backward as needed for the athlete. If you have a tall athlete who gets a lot of power, you might pull the mat stack backwards so that she can land on her feet and then over rotate to her back without falling off the mat stack. But again, this is all conjecture and rumor until we see the rules.

There will be new compulsory routine as well, just no major shift like there was 8 years ago.

I'm terrified to see it in action. I don't want to know how many vaults I'm going to see where the gymnast ends up in the gap between the mat and the vault. Even worse would be landing on the mat and then falling into the gap. I predict the weakest vaulters will end up doing the tsuk timer (roundoff) because it will be the easiest of the three options. I don't know if they'll all have the same start value; I am guessing yes despite the fact that they shouldn't.

No, landing on the feet and the judging ends then with the exception of deductions for a step back on FHS or step forward on tsuk/yuri timer (note: I do not have all the deduction details, I just have a 1 page summary I saw). Gymnast may then roll out or a coach may touch them to stop movement/keep them from death. I believe timers to the back was the preferred option among professional members surveyed about the change (because that's how the timer should be done) but ruled out due to liability reasons.
I really, really, really am dreading this change. I do not understand how judging these will be consistent or fair. Scores will be all over the place. I'm guessing after the novelty wears off, they will mostly go back to the handspring vault.

OMG are you serious? I was really looking forward to new music!
Seriously. The last cycle, they put out new music after the first 4 years, but it was just the same music performed in a more hideous way. This time, they put out 3 choices at the beginning of the cycle. If you look at the compulsory code, it says "2013 - 2021" right on the cover.

I think that shows the timers? Timers in competitions have been used here for years. Landing on feet has the lowest SV, landing on feet then falling back the middle and immediately to back has the highest. Some levels will do something with a mat stack, some with a mat stack as high as the table, some just have a mini trampoline and do a salto, and some have the mat stack lower than the table

I'm horrified at the thought of judging these. OMW! There is no angle of repulsion, both of those were totally arched............ *breathing into a paper bag to avoid hyperventilating*

Split only has to be more than 135 degrees to receive value part(B credit), with insufficient split execution deductions, of course.
That's not true even now. You only get 20 degrees deviation before it doesn't count as a VP. 135 degrees is less than is required at Level 5. The requirement is 180 degrees starting in Level 6, even on beam. And the upgrade to a B is very strict on the angle. Heard it from very good authority.

Reactions: sce
That's not true even now. You only get 20 degrees deviation before it doesn't count as a VP. 135 degrees is less than is required at Level 5. The requirement is 180 degrees starting in Level 6, even on beam. And the upgrade to a B is very strict on the angle. Heard it from very good authority.
Don't know what your authority is, but the code of points says what I did. If a leap or jump is within 45 of 180, you award value part and take insufficient split deduction. If it's more than 45 away you award lower value part. What is required at level 5 is not relevent.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back