WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Split only has to be more than 135 degrees to receive value part(B credit), with insufficient split execution deductions, of course.

Unless you're looking at the new code of points, I was told that the upgrade to a B was only for splits that are 180 degrees. The old way was up to whatever it still counts, but I'm just repeating what I was told by a very reliable source, that to be counted as a B in the new code, it must be 180. If you already have the new code, and it allows a non-180 leap to be a B, then ok, I was told incorrectly. But from what we were told at a meet, the new B rating is only for 180 leaps. Because so many gymnasts do not hit 180 in JO, college, or even elite, and they are really wanting to emphasize the requirement.

Reactions: sce
Unless you're looking at the new code of points, I was told that the upgrade to a B was only for splits that are 180 degrees. The old way was up to whatever it still counts, but I'm just repeating what I was told by a very reliable source, that to be counted as a B in the new code, it must be 180. If you already have the new code, and it allows a non-180 leap to be a B, then ok, I was told incorrectly. But from what we were told at a meet, the new B rating is only for 180 leaps. Because so many gymnasts do not hit 180 in JO, college, or even elite, and they are really wanting to emphasize the requirement.
No, was going by old code. Now I see what you were saying. Don't have current one yet. Hope to see soon!

Don't know what your authority is, but the code of points says what I did. If a leap or jump is within 45 of 180, you award value part and take insufficient split deduction. If it's more than 45 away you award lower value part. What is required at level 5 is not relevent.

I really hope GAgymmom is correct. It irritates me to see all the sloppy split jumps and leaps both on beam and floor. I mean, 135 angle and only get deducted up to .2 while all the tumbling deductions seem to be so much higher. It really gives the benefit to the tumblers. Hopefully they are cracking down on the dance portion more equally

I really hope GAgymmom is correct. It irritates me to see all the sloppy split jumps and leaps both on beam and floor. I mean, 135 angle and only get deducted up to .2 while all the tumbling deductions seem to be so much higher. It really gives the benefit to the tumblers. Hopefully they are cracking down on the dance portion more equally

I hope I'm right too. I hate it when I give wrong information.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I studied for my last round of judging exams, I used flashcards on Quizlet. I just received notification that one of the "authors" of the flashcards I used has posted new "decks."

So, it looks like at least someone has their hands on the new code (or more likely, it is someone who is testing National/Brevet and already has study materials).

Notable
changes I see in the level 10 updates (https://quizlet.com/286525673/2018-2022-jr-olympic-level-10-update-changes-flash-cards/):
- Level 10s can earn an extra bonus +0.10 on BB, FX, and UB if they have 0.6 in bonus and an E element --> so a 10.1 SV is theoretically possible like on vault for those very difficult routines
- SVs for basic front handspring vaults (and variations) are down 0.1
- Bar dismount has to be a salto. Not like anyone does hecht dismounts any more.
- UB composition deductions are simplified and clarified. For no composition deductions, cannot face same direction through whole routine and needs to have 2 of the following 3: Forward element excludes dismount, pirouette element, 3/6/7 circle (clear hip, stalker, toe-hand)
- BB composition deductions are simplified and clarified
- BB Split leap value to a B
- FX composition deductions simplified and clarified: new deduction for dance not up to competitive level (0.2) and dismount not up to competitive level (0.1)

When I studied for my last round of judging exams, I used flashcards on Quizlet. I just received notification that one of the "authors" of the flashcards I used has posted new "decks."

So, it looks like at least someone has their hands on the new code (or more likely, it is someone who is testing National/Brevet and already has study materials).

Notable
changes I see in the level 10 updates (https://quizlet.com/286525673/2018-2022-jr-olympic-level-10-update-changes-flash-cards/):
- Level 10s can earn an extra bonus +0.10 on BB, FX, and UB if they have 0.6 in bonus and an E element --> so a 10.1 SV is theoretically possible like on vault for those very difficult routines
- Bar dismount has to be a salto. Not like anyone does hecht dismounts any more.
- UB composition deductions are simplified and clarified. For no composition deductions, cannot face same direction through whole routine and needs to have 2 of the following 3: Forward element excludes dismount, pirouette element, 3/6/7 circle (clear hip, stalker, toe-hand)
- FX composition deductions simplified and clarified: new deduction for dance not up to competitive level (0.2) and dismount not up to competitive level (0.1)
That change to evaluation of lead leg height in switch leaps is interesting, too. No more taking it away completely.
I like eliminating the balance comp ded and adding dance not up to comp level instead.

Reactions: sce
That change to evaluation of lead leg height in switch leaps is interesting, too. No more taking it away completely.
I like eliminating the balance comp ded and adding dance not up to comp level instead.

The change in lead leg height makes a lot of sense to me too.

I think the balance deduction for composition was lost on a lot of coaches (let alone parents). I think it's clearer to say the expectations are this level of dance skills and this level of acro skills and there is a composition deduction if you don't meet that. Looks like it will all be spelled out specifically as well.

Interesting on the extra bonuses for E skills. DD will love that.. I noticed the flashcards says BB and FX but didn't mention UB?

+0.10 if 1) Total Bonus >= 0.60 and includes an E element. Beam/Floor "E" must be an Acro element

Notable

Interesting on the extra bonuses for E skills. DD will love that.. I noticed the flashcards says BB and FX but didn't mention UB?

+0.10 if 1) Total Bonus >= 0.60 and includes an E element. Beam/Floor "E" must be an Acro element
It didn't mention uneven bars on the last part because you don't do acro on bars. It is just specifying that on beam and floor, it doesnt apply if the E skill is dance... it has to be acro. :)

people keep saying we need to get back to more artistry in the routines and then the code, once again, puts acro over dance elements. o_O An E dance element is not an easy thing to pull off, especially on beam, and should be awarded like an E acro

Lol, good point. Wonder if there is a separate code change that will award potential bonus for Extra E on bars

It didn't mention uneven bars on the last part because you don't do acro on bars. It is just specifying that on beam and floor, it doesnt apply if the E skill is dance... it has to be acro. :)

I took it as the E on bars qualifies too. It just didn’t need to be clarified that it was an acro skill as that would only apply to floor and beam. Like gymgal said, acro over dance element. Did I misunderstand?

I took it as the E on bars qualifies too. It just didn’t need to be clarified that it was an acro skill as that would only apply to floor and beam. Like gymgal said, acro over dance element. Did I misunderstand?

Nope. I think you've got it.

Gymnastics can earn an extra +0.1 in SV (for a 10.1 SV) on UB, BB, and FX if they have at least 0.6 in bonus, with at least one E skill on bars, and one E acro skill on beam/floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back