WAG Judge My DDs Bar Routine (Lvl 5)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
I've recently joined the Chalk Bucket community and see lots of parents posting videos and asking for critiques. We would love if someone would help us out by judging my DDs lvl 5 bars routine. The score she received was not what we were expecting so we're interested in obtaining some advice on where it went wrong.

We know the dismount is an issue since she severely sprained her ankle trying to learn the skill so she's not 100% confident on it yet.

Thank you in advance!

IT was pretty good…. couldn't see her feet the whole time or how many steps she took on the dismount.
I saw some leg separations… and her head was "up" on her tap swings, giving the appearance of a lower angle (plus the first one seemed really low).

I can't give a true score because of things I can't see, but I would think mid-to high 8 to maybe very low 9. It was BEAUTIFUL.

She really did a great job! I would guess high 8 to low 9 as well. L5 bars seems to be judged pretty harshly across the board, I am betting it was just a matter of getting "tenthed" to death. If I had to guess I think you will continue to see her score improve throughout the rest of the season as she figures out the small little leg separations and all. Will be curious to see you post what she got. Her routine looks a million times better than my dd's L5-6 bars, so if your dd got tenthed to death my kid will probably be in the 6's! :eek::eek::(;);)

Ok, so I am curious what she actually got.
In our region, she would have ranged from 8.5 to 9.0...because they do tenth things to death around here (just like in every region, lol)....personally I would have judged it low 9s. But I am not a judge!

She got a 8.1 which seemed drastically low to us (and even the coaches). If anyone viewing this is a coach or a judge we would love a comprehensive list of deductions. We could only see few small things like slight leg separation on 2 parts, the tap swings seemed low, and a small stumble on the dismount. Her lvl 4 bars were usually in the 9.3s, and she got 9.5+ many times on lvl 3 bars. Bars are her "jam", but this score seemed way, way off. This was her first meet.

Hi there

I'm a judge and I scored it at an 8.2, but I replayed it a few times. I'm not sure I would've caught everything in one shot. The score may have been less if her feet hit the mat after her 2nd kip, but I can't tell so I didn't deduct. I deducted for leg separations on nearly all the skills, which added up A LOT. Most everything was very nice, however it's a large-ish deduction if her tap swings/counterswings aren't meeting the minimum height requirements...counterswings were low. I deducted for knees (very minor, but I noticed it) and extension on her kips and a wonky foot here and there. She lost a lot on her dismount. It needs to be at least the height of the high bar, further away from the bar and she needs to open up sooner to eliminate body position deductions on her landing. I took off for two steps...not sure if it should be more or less but that's what it looked like to me. I feel like she's very capable of a high scoring routine...just clean up these little things. Hope this helps.

My daughter competed L5 last year and based on the scores I saw last year and the 1 meet have been to this year, I would say mid 8s. The routines that I saw score high all had casts and clear hips to within 20 degrees of handstand and high tap swings and flyaways that looked more like they were going up than coming down. I know that's not technically how you describe things because I'm not a judge. The routine is also a lot longer than L3 and L4, so more time and skills for more deductions. It looks like she is off to a good start. I have noticed that bar scores for L5 tend to be lower overall.

It was a good routine, but there are a lot of leg/foot separations that add up quickly. The tap swings were low and there was a general lack of tightness in her form (I think it is more obvious because she has a long, ballet type body which can make the deductions greater because everything is more obvious), and I agree with those saying the dismount hurt her score a lot.

She has a lot of positives going for her. When she cleans this routine up, her long lines are going to make this look amazing. And she was super confident in her squat on and connection to high bar which many gymnasts struggle with.

Not a judge, but a coach, so no idea about point values but here are the technique issues I saw:

Biggest are:
1) feet tapping the ground after the drop kip - she needs to pull her legs up and keep that strong pike shape
2) very little "tap" in the tap swings...she maintains nearly a straight body all the way through instead of a strong hollow which allows the tap to come. It looks like she's tapping a little bit early as well.

Another smaller thing is a little bit of pike around the bar in her long hang pullover, instead of keeping a straight body and shifting through the wrists. Her long hang pullover is quite nice otherwise, however, and it's a small error.
Not a bad routine though. One good thing I saw is her casts generally have a good hollow shape.

The dismount, as you said, has been an issue for her - she lets go a little early which causes her to "fling" off and not have as much height as she could. Strong tap swings can help this.

Lots of good input so far, thanks everyone! I wanted to point out that she doesn't ever hit her feet/touch the floor on the low bar part; and she only took one step on the dismount (but was also wobbly). I'm realizing the video is cutting off some of her feet action lol.

We've been told the tap swing form is a primary success criteria in L5 and judged very critically. So I am not surprised by the responses critiquing her tap swing as a reason for the low-ish score. She does not appear to have an 'obvious tap' to my non-judge eye, which is what I hear our coaches emphasizing. General looseness and some separation is the other man culprit that stands out, along with the low dismount and piked baby giant. All that can add up very quickly.

Most of our L5s are scoring low to mid 8s and are considered "good" routines in our area (which is rumored to be among the lower/tougher scoring areas). We have adjusted our expectations in L5 vs L4. Not tons of 9's. You can podium with a mid 8 here at L5.

Your daughter has a nice fluidity to her swings and a nice clear hip. She is doing great. Working on stronger taps and the dismount height should propel her scores, but overall she is in great shape. I kinda threw score expectations out the window in L5, personally :)

She got a 8.1 which seemed drastically low to us (and even the coaches). If anyone viewing this is a coach or a judge we would love a comprehensive list of deductions. We could only see few small things like slight leg separation on 2 parts, the tap swings seemed low, and a small stumble on the dismount. Her lvl 4 bars were usually in the 9.3s, and she got 9.5+ many times on lvl 3 bars. Bars are her "jam", but this score seemed way, way off. This was her first meet.

Not a judge. A couple of things.

You can not compare L3/L4 bars to L5. As they go up the expectation gets raised. A bent arm kip less of an issue in 4 vs 5. Height to casts, general form and tightness gets kicked up.

We have had any meets yet but I fully expect the scores to be lower.

The other question is how were everyone else's scores. Was she proportionally to where she usually is. I remember a bar meet last year. My kids score was a low as it ever has been. But everyone else's was as well. We apparently had a judge who was a take the max deduction, not min kind of judge.

Finally what you see is not what the judge see's.

Hi there

I'm a judge and I scored it at an 8.2, but I replayed it a few times. I'm not sure I would've caught everything in one shot. The score may have been less if her feet hit the mat after her 2nd kip, but I can't tell so I didn't deduct. I deducted for leg separations on nearly all the skills, which added up A LOT. Most everything was very nice, however it's a large-ish deduction if her tap swings/counterswings aren't meeting the minimum height requirements...counterswings were low. I deducted for knees (very minor, but I noticed it) and extension on her kips and a wonky foot here and there. She lost a lot on her dismount. It needs to be at least the height of the high bar, further away from the bar and she needs to open up sooner to eliminate body position deductions on her landing. I took off for two steps...not sure if it should be more or less but that's what it looked like to me. I feel like she's very capable of a high scoring routine...just clean up these little things. Hope this helps.

I am a judge as well and scored it at 8.15. The hit of her feet in the mat, some of her cast/clear angles not being high enough, the height of tap swings, and the dismount accounted for a majority of execution deductions. Leg separation was apparent in a number of the elements as well. And I took a rhythm deduction since the routine appeared slow. Level 5 bars is hard, definitely can't compare it to the lower levels!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back