WAG Keeping bars chalky

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
We have two sets of bars in our gym. They are both pretty old Speith Anderson bars. The rails look really grainy, and are pretty rough. I can't keep chalk on them no matter what I do. They are completely naked.

None of our girls wear grips, in fact we still don't have anyone even doing kips yet but they are trying! What can I do to get our bars in better shape?

bars.jpg

I think one mentioned on here frequently is spraying watered-down Coke on to the bars, then chalking them! The sugar helps it stick.

OT but there is a gym around here where none of the gymnasts wear grips OR chalk. They scrape the bars completely naked with Velcro (bar has to be rechalked afterwards) and-get this- LICK THEIR HANDS. Even the teens. It is disgusting!!

[QUOTE="
OT but there is a gym around here where none of the gymnasts wear grips OR chalk. They scrape the bars completely naked with Velcro (bar has to be rechalked afterwards) and-get this- LICK THEIR HANDS. Even the teens. It is disgusting!![/QUOTE]

WHAT?!?!!!

There is club like that in my area. Even their highest level girls don't wear grips etc. It's a real pain when we host a competition as we have to spend ages in our next session trying to chalk the bars.

A trick we use to chalk the bars back up, or to chalk competition bars at other clubs is to spray them with water then, water and chalk your grips and swing on the bars. We find this works as it removes the chalk from the grips and puts the chalk where you are going to swing in your routine

None of out kids wear grips. Is this the reason why the bars won't chalk up? I never wore them either but I don't remember our bars being naked.

Maybe get some grips or the underside of an only leather belt and rub it in the bars much te same way as someone said up further just to get the chalk to say on! That's the only hug I can think of if you don't wear grips :)

spray on coke and let it sit over night. then rub some honey in the hands area. then water up and chalk.

the coke opens the grain on the rail. coke can clean your toilets also. helluva product.

I can only imagine what it does to your body then!! *alarmed look on face*

We really need to replace our rails too. They are all nicked up. Does anyone know of any for sale that aren't $450 a rail?

What Dunno said, Wet paper towel, add honey to the towel, smear it around on the towel add a little more water, then smear it on the bar add plenty of chalk, repeat. too much honey and it gets gloppy. You will figure it out.

I heard about the boys using honey on the p-bars the other day and I'd never heard of that before. Interesting to hear that other people do that, too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back