MAG Kip, but not really.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
D

Deleted member 10727

My 7 year old has been sooooo close to getting his kip for months now. Yet he cannot get it. I hear this is a common problem, but he is frustrated. The coaches say he is almost there, but he just needs to flip his hands and get on top of the bar. What is it about the kip?? I think it's like a point off if the coach helps during a competition, right?

He's level 5, no? Getting the kip and an immediate cast afterward is a bonus. Unless they've changed it (and I don't think they have), the text says "If the kip is attempted and missed, the maximum execution deduction for the entire skill including the coach's spot to help the athlete to a support position will NOT exceed 0.5. Exception will be if the gymnast falls off the bar, then an additional 1.0 deduction will be taken." Kips are a bit maddening -- the kid can be oh so close for weeks or even a few months but not quite there -- but they come eventually and then after a year or two you forget what the drama was all about, probably because you're in the middle of giant drama!

I have read the same thing as profmom. It is hard to watch them struggle with the kip. Ds just got his, I have no idea if it is consistent or not since I never watch bars. It was a few months for him that his coaches said he was "close". So shorter than he was "close" on his mushroom circles (that felt like a year, it might have even been more!). Hope he gets it soon! I'll be crossing my fingers at meets that he makes it ;)

I know that only our repeater L5's started last year with a kip and that they all got it during the season. My son got his last fall and now can kip cast HS. So it will come with time and patience.

Yeah, I know it will come, and I've also read that kids heavy on the strength have a harder time with kip than other kids. That would fit my kid (even though none of the other level 5 have a kip either). It's good to know the kip help from his coach won't be that much of a deduction! He is really worried about that, but I told him it doesn't matter anyway. Just do his best.

I feel your pain!!
My DD is 8, and HAD her kip consistently for 3 weeks in teh summer, and lost it 2 months ago.
It is the SAME story with your DS! She gets all the way up. but because she does not shift, she falls back down!!!
She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated too.
I keep telling her that she WILL get it, and not to give up.
Besides, if they take a little longer, but keep the straight arms, then in the end it will be a better kip.

You don't want to know, but I am gonna tell you how long it took DD to get a really decent kip. Three. Solid. Years.

If it's any consolation/encouragement, her kip-cast handstand is beautiful now, and she has a kip-cast handstand-pirouette.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back