WAG Kip consistency

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MickeyDGym

Proud Parent
My DD made her kip for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I was surprised because they had only been working kip drills a little bit. Since then she has made her kip about 3 or 4 times without a spot. She always makes it with a spot. My question is how long does it take to get a kip consistently without a spot on average? I was considering doing privates so she can get more practice. Any home exercises to help with the kip? Any advice?

It's different for all kids . Skills come and go at times. The kip is one of the first of many that will take time. I would not do privates it for a kip.

What she needs is time she will be getting lots of repetitions and did I say time.

Core exercises and pull ups always help, with just about anything.

As far as advice goes, stop watching practice.

It's different for all kids . Skills come and go at times. The kip is one of the first of many that will take time. I would not do privates it for a kip.

What she needs is time she will be getting lots of repetitions and did I say time.

Core exercises and pull ups always help, with just about anything.

As far as advice goes, stop watching practice.
I don't watch practice. I only catch the tail end of it. I don't need that type of torture

Kip is a lot about timing. It will come with repetition. It can take months in some cases, so be happy with some early progress!

Puma Jr took 18 months from first kip to consistant kip...:confused::confused::confused: ...and then another year for it to look decent..o_Oo_Oo_Obut I think that's not the norm. She has an odd backstory. But, like stated above, they are all different. Good luck!!

A kip is one of those skills that gymnasts struggle with in the beginning in terms of on/off again. Some days they can make 5 of them, others they make none. And the time frame for a consistency varies widely - like from just a couple weeks to several months. And even longer if you are talking about a nice clean straight arm kip, not just muscling up the bar, which is what beginner kips usually entail.

Coaches in the past here on CB have said the skill is more a timing skill than a core strength skill so it has more to do with lots of repetition of drills at the gym and spotting of the actual skill if your gym spots.

As always, the advice whenever anyone asks about home ideas - keep gym in the gym unless the coach has voluntarily given you specific conditioning drills.

Congrats to your dd! It will become more consistent in time.

This is totall normal. Kids are one of those skills that kids will get and then take a while to get solid and consistent. It's normal to get the kip and then lose it for a while and then get it back again.

In my daughter's group, it seemed that nearly all of the kids made what my daughter and I called a "fluke kip" once, did not kip again for weeks or months, and then gradually started making more and more until they were consistent. The length of time required to achieve consistency varied from a month to several months.

My daughter did one fluke kip, didn't kip for maybe three more months, then got a correction that made the timing click and did five or six at once. Her coach then required her to practice with a spot until she got her arms reasonably straight, which took maybe a month. Once the coach took away the spot she was kipping consistently.

I think it's quite normal for it to come and go in the early days I know my dd head coach warned me when she finally got it not to worry if she 'loses' her kip or upstart as we call them,
however my dd thankfully hasn't lost hers, I think because she took so long to get it when it finally clicked it just clicked and on the first day she got it she managed to do 10 in a row and now makes it at least 90% of the time and the last week or so has made it every time and because she is so consistent with them it's being added to her bar routine which will be being competed less than 2 months from getting her first kip, fingers crossed all goes well with her kip at competition.
But I have been told by numerous people including her coach that she is not the norm with it being adding to a routine so soon. Every other girl in her group took much longer from first kip to consistently having it but she took so much longer to get her first one.

The kip is a "come and go" skill for many. My dd was the last of her group to get it, but once she got it, it stuck. Until she got her grips that is. Now we're back to "come and go". o_O

For dd it took about a month after the first one to do it consistently. It took another month or so after that to get it to connect to clear hip and to get the high bar kip consistent. All together it was about 3-4 months before it was consistent, connected and had good form.

DD has gotten her kip by herself maybe 4 times total. They started working on them in March, so yea, I anticipate it taking quite a while. She is L3 and the HC said that she plans to have all the girls competing kip by the upcoming season. First meet is in November, so we'll see; I'm sure some girls will have it, and others won't.

It takes a long time to perfect the kip. My level 4 and 5 team often have bad days were they just can't get their kip right. Repetition is the key, the more she does it the better she will get.
I wouldn't waste money on privates as long as she knows the proper form, she just has to keep practicing.

if you have open gym, she can practice then. i got a kip bar for my dd and she rarely used it. they did play around on it a bunch. so glad i spent the money. haha . she did use it for kips a few times but i don't think it was an advantage at all.

it's a matter of timing and she needs to figure it out and she will.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back