Parents L3 Bars Routine - How is it scored?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flounder

Proud Parent
I tried doing a search on here, but didn't see too much about L3. Is there a good source for what the judges look for during the routine? We were very confused about the judging at a meet this weekend and wondering what I'm missing (probably a lot :p). Thanks!

Can you look on YouTube for some high and low scoring routines to maybe get an idea? There is a level 3 tutorial that a gym produced that talks about what each of the skills should look like.. that might help too? You can search for it on Google. I think a lot depends on the area too. Were their scores lower than you expected? Do you have a video? Sometimes people post videos and others can give ideas on what the deductions were for.

My dd competed level 3 last year. I could pm you a link to her videos if you are interested to see how a different routine scores.

I think scores were lower for everyone (tough judges), but I was surprised by DD and one other teammate's scores on bars. They seemed to have fine routines, but both scored lower than 2 other girls who fell out of their mill circles. That made me realize I must not understand something about scoring. I know that the coach will fix whatever there is to fix, but I was hoping to be a little more educated. I will search youtube. Thanks for that suggestion.

I don't have any videos, so I can't post. I guess the little things can really add up and those don't end up on the score card, right?

I think scores were lower for everyone (tough judges), but I was surprised by DD and one other teammate's scores on bars. They seemed to have fine routines, but both scored lower than 2 other girls who fell out of their mill circles. That made me realize I must not understand something about scoring. I know that the coach will fix whatever there is to fix, but I was hoping to be a little more educated. I will search youtube. Thanks for that suggestion.

I don't have any videos, so I can't post. I guess the little things can really add up and those don't end up on the score card, right?

It just comes with time. My DDs very first meet (5yo, old 3) was fantastic! She looked so good on the bars. She didn't fall. It looked pretty; she did everything she was supposed to do and ........ She scored a 5.6. Yup. I was in SHOCK! Now that she's a L7, I have a better idea, but I still don't see all the tenths - nor do I need to.

One of the biggest things I learned during dd's first year of competing is that a routine with no falls/obvious errors does not necessarily mean it will score better than one with a fall. I many times was confounded to have dd stay on the beam, complete the dreaded mill circle or do her backhandspring, only to score lower than girls that missed them or fell. Now, another year into it (repeating level 3), I'm seeing why. She is so much sharper, tighter and confident. Although I don't know the specifics, I am absolutely sure she's doing less knee bending, more toe pointing, stronger movements, etc. All those tenths add up.

I have a hard time w/ understanding bars scoring too - I've been at this for a while and there is always a score or two I don't understand in my DDs sessions ;). In level 3 I'd bet mystery deductions are coming from things like amplitude (is their casting forceful enough even when low, are they fully extending their swings and swinging w/ force/control) and body positioning (like are they hollow when they are supposed to be, are their shoulders and arms at the right angles) more than the obvious things like flexed feet, bent legs and falling. Pauses can lead to deductions a lot at the lower levels - yeah, they have to pause at some points in those routines, but there's a limit that isn't always clear when comparing two routines.

I tried doing a search on here, but didn't see too much about L3. Is there a good source for what the judges look for during the routine? We were very confused about the judging at a meet this weekend and wondering what I'm missing (probably a lot :p). Thanks!

let it go. enjoy your daughter gymnastics. NOT the thing you'll never understand...just like us.

I do enjoy it. I've told her I'd give everyone 10s if I were a judge. :) However, it's helpful to have some idea what's going on (like knowing the difference between a field goal and a touchdown when watching football).
Well, the problem, other than the vast amount of possible deductions, is that many of them are 'up to' deductions. One judge might take the full amount and the next will only take 0.1! Some amount of the scoring is a bit subjective. I was once told that while there is technically a code for deductions, the ultimate duty of the judges in any meet is to basically rank the routines performed.

My DD is lvl 3 as well. She somehow fell post front hip circle (which she has never done before but she practiced her kip and did the standard cast so I think she got a little confused). Well she got an 8.7 and I was surprised her score was that high but most of her routine looked good with the exception of her cast which didn't hit 90 and a bent knee during the mill circle. The little things that you don't even notice add up. Now I can see and it very obvious sometimes. If you record them and slow down the video you can often see the issues. For my DD, it has helped her alot to view them. It's easier for her to understand where she needs to make corrections.

My DD is lvl 3 as well. She somehow fell post front hip circle (which she has never done before but she practiced her kip and did the standard cast so I think she got a little confused). Well she got an 8.7 and I was surprised her score was that high but most of her routine looked good with the exception of her cast which didn't hit 90 and a bent knee during the mill circle. The little things that you don't even notice add up. Now I can see and it very obvious sometimes. If you record them and slow down the video you can often see the issues. For my DD, it has helped her alot to view them. It's easier for her to understand where she needs to make corrections.

There is no cast height requirement at L3.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back