Parents L5 progress and problems!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
I've SO been enjoying watching my older DD start L5 during the past two weeks!:) After 15 months of L4...and not much uptraining...it is SO SO nice to see her learning new things! I just needed to share!

In just 2 weeks she has her whole beam routine (needs details and lots of polish!:eek:), her squat on, jump to the high bar and tap swings, her front handspring vault, and all her floor skills including front handspring which I thought she'd struggle a lot more with!

The two problems...drum roll...the kip of course..which I know can take quite a while to learn...and the RO BHS BHS. She can do it but with bent arms, legs, fingers, toes, knees, wrists, ankles, you name it...it's bent! It also looks as if she is doing it in super slow-mo! UGH:( after struggling so much with BHS in L4 and finally cleaning it up at the end of the season I just hate watching the trouble she's having with it. I hope...no, I KNOW it is going to get SOOO much better but ouch! Poor kid, she struggles with that skill.

Anyway...just had to share her early accomplishments. I love watching her on the bars especially. When she gets that kip I think she's going to be strong on bars again next year!

Please shoo those pretty BHS fairies down here if anyone can spare them. We might need to keep them for AWHILE to make sure they don't wear off this time!:p

Just saw the video of her last meet, well I assume it was her most recent one, not sure. And she looks like she did great. It looks mostly neat and tidy and tight. Well done for her. I love the bit, where they pray before the meet. Awesome.

I am sure in the long run, she will learn the things she is working on now. But I know what you mean, you see your kid do something and you are like oh man, that is not what it should look like. But it will come.

I am glad that she is having so much success so early on. Don't worry about the Kip and the tumbling, she will get it. :)

I wouldn't worry about it right now. She has progressed very well in L5 so quickly. She will get those double BHS and her kip!! There is so much time. :) Glad she is loving it and getting her skills and routines already!

I just watched her video as well... she has great form at Level 4. Don't worry, it will come back. Right now she's focusing on GETTING THAT SKILL!! The kip takes a while to learn as you know.... but she will get that too. Don't talk about it to her, just let her have fun with it and trust me (and all of us), it will come!

L5 is so hard! Such a jump from L4! Sounds like your dd is doing awesome and getting all of those new skills so fast. My dd is training L5 right now too, to compete in fall. It seems so far, I know my dd would love to compete it now. Good luck on that kip and pretty bhs bhs, she will get them, and I bet soon!!

L5 is so hard! Such a jump from L4!

Yes, it seems like a completely diffferent sport almost! So much more flying through the air and so many more little details in beam and floor! AND I know the judging is so much harder too...sigh...:rolleyes:I am hoping she can conquer it all and stick with it. L5 seems to be where our team loses some girls...and we have a HUGE group of girls too, all trying to learn all this stuff at once. It's so interesting to watch them all and how different things give different ones trouble!

Hope your DD is loving L5! Sounds like she is!:)

I think she will come along just fine. She has very strong basics and is very nicely polished. Give it three months and I think you will be shocked at the difference you see. In fact we'll be able to say "I told you so".

Sending her the kip fairy, she is ready for a change of scenery!

OT but Bog how is bitty bogs kips these days. My dd is now finally at the point she can do scruffy ones quite reliably. It really feels like she got over the hump!

OT but Bog how is bitty bogs kips these days. My dd is now finally at the point she can do scruffy ones quite reliably. It really feels like she got over the hump!

Oh gosh, it still comes and goes like the wind. They tend to only do two or three at each practice as they still have comps to do and they only train 8 hours a week at the very most, a real challenge. Once the comps are over they will focus a more on them. She has a great backaway with lots of height and can do a sole circle to the high bar quite nicely, but the kip technique is so important, you just can't wing it!!!

I know what you mean about the hump, it seems to just stick one day and then it is all about making it pretty. YOur gymmie must be feeling pretty proud!

I know what you mean! This is my younger daughter second year on level 4 and its the same thing over and over lol! I can't wait to be where your at and watch some new skills for a change. we have one more month until state. The kip has definately been one of her hardest skills and they don't work on them too often. My little one made it a couple times but she still stugglings with it. One day she'll make it and then the next day she won't. Hope it all comes together soon! Sounds like your daughter is doing very well with her level 5 skills, thats great! I'm sure she will do very well! How old is she?

! Sounds like your daughter is doing very well with her level 5 skills, thats great! I'm sure she will do very well! How old is she?

She just turned 9. She seems to be getting stronger with the bar skills each day and she tells me she is "close" to her kip. :rolleyes::D Whatever that means...

I am sure that you and she are VERY ready to be done with L4. One more month! You can make it!!! Enjoy the last few weeks!!!

I know what you mean! This is my younger daughter second year on level 4 and its the same thing over and over lol! I can't wait to be where your at and watch some new skills for a change. we have one more month until state. The kip has definately been one of her hardest skills and they don't work on them too often. My little one made it a couple times but she still stugglings with it. One day she'll make it and then the next day she won't. Hope it all comes together soon! Sounds like your daughter is doing very well with her level 5 skills, thats great! I'm sure she will do very well! How old is she?

I know what you mean. My 7 year old is almost done with level 4 and it is her 2nd year. I am so done with level 4. LOL. She is, too. I think she might be missing her last level 4 meet though due to her wrist injury, luckily it isn't States, our compulsory States are in November. She is really bummed, but thrilled to be moving onto level 5. She got her kip last year, but she is going to have a big struggle with vault and the tap swings/dismount on bars I think. They start 4 days a week in May, she can't wait. Hope she is all healed by then. Just in time for conditioning and strength stuff and new skills. LOL.

Kip fairies going out to all that need them!!! :)

Kip fairies.......yep we could use some of them and maybe some glittery vault fairies too with plenty of pixi dust!

Don't worry now. You have a lot of time, and that kip usually takes most girls a while to learn. My DD competed L5 this past season, and she didn't start making any kips until about a month and a half before the first meet. Needless to say her first few meets weren't that great on bars, but her kips are getting lots better now. Some girls just take longer than others with this. I have to admit that I watch girls do it and still can't really figure out how they do it! :)

Last edited:
me neither. Took my dd a year from the time the coaches said she was really close although she doesn't train that many hours and didn't always train them. It has taken 6 months for them to become reliable but they are still not very pretty yet although improving all the time. I can never work out why one girl will get them quick and others slow. That is still a mystery to me. My dd successfully competed hers 10 days after her first one so yours has plenty of time. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back