WAG L7 vault in 2018

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sminty

Proud Parent
I thought I read on the board somewhere that L7 vault will be changing in 2018 (to include some kind of timer?) Anyone know for sure? Will FHS still be an option?

I thought I read on the board somewhere that L7 vault will be changing in 2018 (to include some kind of timer?) Anyone know for sure? Will FHS still be an option?
Today in level 8 and up it is with a lower than 10.0 value

Have heard that as well (timer in L7 in 2018) and DD has been competing a timer in L8 (SV 9.0 and getting killed score wise...she'd be bette prof FHS)

Personally I think it's going to be a disaster unless they set concrete guide lines for judges.... Just look what happened to the handspring (which is a timer for a Handspring front). If you actually do a handspring correctly with the anticipation of doing a hand front, it gets beat by the high pretty hand spring. So I fear the judging community will again take it upon themselves to judge the entries by a certain criteria that will limit or even hinder actual development of a proper L8 vault.... Holding my breath.....

At National Congress last summer, we were told (coaches, judges) that it would change for the 2017-2018 season (or maybe it was the 2018-2019 season) to some sort of timer, likely with mats stacked behind the table. How it is judged is yet to be determined. The options are yet to be determined.

Personally I think it's going to be a disaster unless they set concrete guide lines for judges.... Just look what happened to the handspring (which is a timer for a Handspring front). If you actually do a handspring correctly with the anticipation of doing a hand front, it gets beat by the high pretty hand spring. So I fear the judging community will again take it upon themselves to judge the entries by a certain criteria that will limit or even hinder actual development of a proper L8 vault.... Holding my breath.....
Funny you say this....I was just thinking about that the other day- we have a girl who does the FHS front and the entry looks NOTHING like a front handspring vault....She is arched and snaps off into the FT....she scores very high with this vault.
I really pray there is an option for some kind of timer.....I dont think my DD can stand another year of the FHS vault if she were to repeat 7.....The Chenko time seems like such a great progression!!!

This would have been a great alternative for my dd this year. Her FHS is either hot or cold and her coach says her Yurchenkos are already better than her FHS. I did hear that the timer in level 7 will still be a 10.0 start value.

All I know is we have two meets left and we will happily say good riddance to that FHS vault forever.

what's a timer? my gymmie is heading into 7 next year (hopefully, if she gets all her skills) and she is just starting to really come into the current level 6 vault. they hadn't spent a lot of time in level 4 on vault but they've upped their vault practice and dd's scores are reflecting it. she has been practicing Yurchenkos off and on for the last several months on the trainer vault.

Something like this...I'm not sure if they have said whether it will be to your back on stacked mats or to your feet on stacked mats??

Something like this...I'm not sure if they have said whether it will be to your back on stacked mats or to your feet on stacked mats??

thanks!
i would love to switch it up since this is what dd is practicing on the trainer vault but into a pit. she is also doing drills on the rod floor with mats. i don't understand what she's telling me so i'm not sure if they are going over like a table and landing on feet or landing on mats. lol. IMO, this would be good to get them ready (in a more safe manner) for the yurchenko. would love to see this change.

If you actually do a handspring correctly with the anticipation of doing a hand front, it gets beat by the high pretty hand spring.

Interesting - that's the first I have heard it put that way, and that makes sense. I'm curious, what is a FHS vault supposed to look like, if it is performed in a manner optimized as a HF timer? What would look different, ideally, than the "big, pretty" FHS vault starting in JO L4?

Interesting - that's the first I have heard it put that way, and that makes sense. I'm curious, what is a FHS vault supposed to look like, if it is performed in a manner optimized as a HF timer? What would look different, ideally, than the "big, pretty" FHS vault starting in JO L4?
should come in low and have a shoulder angle on entry with slight pike in hips, or a shoulder angle with arch. Depends on the technique. But the vaults that score the highest, come in high with totally open shoulders (body completely straight). to be fair I will use my own kids, Here is Kenni, Hips slightly piked, with a shoulder angle,

And Ellie, uses a slightly hybrid technique with a pike to open hips entry, but both Kenni and Ellie come in low with a slight shoulder angle.

I should add that both the above entries would get a deduction in L7...... yea.....

I asked dd coach if my dd could do the yamashta for L7, and my head was bitten off promptly........( I started gymnastics with a boy so I just thought........)
No yami for you.....One year!!

Yes , keni is going to UCLA and Ellie was verbally committed to a full ride at Washington as a freshman.

do all the girls at Azarian do this entry or do some of your athletes do Yurchenko entries? At all the level 10 meets we've been to this year, the vast majority of 10s are doing layout Yurchenko or Yurchenko fulls with maybe few girls doing 1 1/2 and DTY... will we see more variations at regionals and nationals?

do all the girls at Azarian do this entry or do some of your athletes do Yurchenko entries? At all the level 10 meets we've been to this year, the vast majority of 10s are doing layout Yurchenko or Yurchenko fulls with maybe few girls doing 1 1/2 and DTY... will we see more variations at regionals and nationals?
No the majority of our girls do yurchenko entries, partially due to the ranch pushing them. But I prefer the other entries and wish at this point that I had stuck to them a bit more.... here is Ashton, She hasn't competed it yet so we will see if she gets it competition ready or not. pretty cool vault though.

What does this mean for those who excel at front entry vaults (piked tsuk). Is there a timer for that or is everyone forced to do a yurchenko?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back