WAG L8 - not up to level deductions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Now that the regular season is coming to a close, I was curious what judges and coaches have been seeing on the deductions for "not up to competitive level" for level 8. Are judges using this deduction for routines that don't include the 1 extra allowable 'C' skill? How about for 'A' vs 'B' dismounts for bars and beam?

Not a coach or judge, but my observation is that our girls with a C on beam are definitely scoring higher than our girls with very solid routines (beautiful BHS-BHS et al) and no C. I'm skeptical that it's just a coincidence because I actually think two of the girls without the C have a cleaner series and routine overall.

Not seeing the same correlation on bars or floor though (i.e., no DBD or release move). Definitely interested in hearing what others are seeing though.

Not a judge or coach either, just a mom with some observations. We've actually seen very few C skills other than a couple double back dismounts off bars. The vast majority of beam acro skills are still BHS-BHS. I can't think of a single C on floor that we've seen other than dance. The judge that did our in-house evaluation was only taking the deduction for routines that weren't up to last year's regional standard. For example, my DD was competing a full turn with straight horizontal leg. She wasn't getting credit for it (didn't finish with leg high enough) so she was also incurring the .2 not up to competition deduction for not having a B turn. At least that's what the judge said. They changed her turn and scores went up.

Just a parent observation here as well. I have seen a number of C elements in routines, and my observation is a Clean routine wins all of the time. That said, clean with C elements seem to be scoring higher (but not substantially).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back