Landing position for Beam handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have two beam videos that I watched recently that gave conflicting information. One is called It's About Stability with Debbie Rodriguez, the other is Balance Beam Handstand Complexes with Tammy Biggs. For landing a handstand, Debbie teaches a lunge with 3 positions (hands on beam, straight back with arms down in front, arms above head, and finish), but Tammy teaches a straight legged one foot landing. I understand that Tammy is trying to teach a handstand for tumbling and Debbie is teaching the handstand to finish. But they are so different. Which is correct for level 4 and 5? Wouldn't Debbies way create arms away from ears on the way up? Should I be working both with all kids? Skip the bent leg all together? Also, don't you need a bend to do any back handspring? How would landing straight legged help with connections?

I know that is a lot of questions. I guess I'm mostly wondering about how to train solid handstands for level 4 and 5, and at the same time work toward series for level 7, 8, 9, etc. Thanks.

Last edited:
From what you are describing, they are different things. The "straight" leg is a lever technique which is the appropriate technique for punching action. If you were to do a handstand into a back tuck, you would not pass through the lunge position in the connection - or if you did, good luck. Handspring back layout even more so.

The ideal thing is to work all kinds of handstands and exits (and hand and leg positions). At this level recognizing the time constraints of the average JO program, in my opinion the best focus is on handstand stability in the forward and side handstands. Lunge (stable landing position) out of the forward handstand. The first acro they are going to learn is single walkovers and handsprings for which they must be able to hold this landing position. However you can work the connecting skills on the floor. And I would recommend that.

Basically to sum up: it's the same as floor. a landing skill lands in lunge. You do not lunge into a two foot punching connection. The idea of training the different exits from handstand work is to create a library of movement the kid can more effectively reference when doing more complicated series. The handstand in the L4 and 5 routines is a "landing skill" not a connecting skill. Appropriate technique in the routine is to show a lever out into a lunge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back