Coaches Late Pick Up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not a babysitter.

Sometimes stuff happens & parents are going to be late, but it is extraordinarily rude and disrespectful of my time to show up late-and it's more than just a little inconvenience. I am not the only coach in the world who rides transit (because there are bigger cities than mine, where cars are just not doable). When a parent is 20 minutes late, that throws off that whole schedule. It's rude and extraordinarily self centered to repeatedly screw up coaches' nights like that.

I am being paid to coach gymnastics, not to provide aftercare & then not get home until 11. The complete lack of consideration that goes into being perpetually late on the pickup is kind of astounding.

Early dropoffs I have no problem with, really. They can do homework. But perpetual lateness without making prior arrangements really irks me.

Discuss, formulate a relationship, encaourage communication - don't vent

I feel that I must comment on the past few posts.We are very understanding when it comes to early drop off or late pick up IF the parent has comunicated with us. We have several who come a little early or a leave little late due to scheduling for school or other siblings committments. We understand that sometimes stuff happens. It is our policy that the gymnast (if older) or parent (for younger ones) just let us know. I needed to vent mostly due the lack of communication from the family.
As coaches, it is our job to encourage communication. If the child is constantly being picked up late, that is rude behaviour, BUT don;t forget it's not the children's fault. If it''s so rude that you want it to stop, you need to tell the parents respectfully OR get over it. If you do not deal with it directly, you run the very real risk of your demenaour or bahaviour having a detrimental impact on the child. Children aren't stupid, theyt will feel uncomfortable and embarrassed about their family. Then they just wont want to come.!

We don't really have a huge problem with this. The gym is always open for at least 15 minutes after practice...yes...they play...bounce tramp...etc...if they are not picked up. If they come early...same thing...play with a purpose...learn something...if they get annoying...they go behind the wall and sit.

One other thing to remember...while we do let them "play with a purpose" before practice...it is not without a coach. If kids start showing up 45 minutes to an hour early for practice...they quickly learn how hard a 4-5 hour practice can be...very early kids always get extra conditioning. That usually ends that.

More than 15 minutes in either direction and their tuition automatically goes up with an email to the parent. All of our team gymnasts are on auto-debit (except for a couple). If they hold us outside of normal gym hours (late pick-up) on a regular basis...which has never happened except in emergency situations where a parent has called us first...we would charge them for 2 private lessons as two staff must stay with them.

By the way...love this thread...

I totally see both sides as I am a die hard coach that wants to win as well as a father of three.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back