Leaning/sitting during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In my opinion kids learn three ways.. through verbal explanation, visual demonstration, or physically feeling the positions with their bodies. Even if a coach is sitting, a good coach can give great verbal explanation. If this does not work, a visual might. If the coach is older or cannot demonstrate themself, thats fine! There are plenty of other great gymnasts in the gym who would like to show off. Lastly, if they need to feel the positions, there are usually plenty of drills for that kind of thing. I will only spot after many many drills because it is too risky for the gymnast and me to just jump right in and spot, when they don't fully understand the skill.

While I think coaches should try to sit as little as possible, we are human and it happens. Many of us work from 8 am to late evenings with just small breaks here and there. Some are full time studdents or work other jobs as well. Some of us are injured or not as young as we used to be. Usually if a rare time comes up when I'm sitting/leaning I am more focused on all the kids. When I am spotting one person, I get really involved and can loose track of how much the other kids are working. There needs to be a balance. I think it is crazy to expect a coach to stand and spot 9 hours a day.

Are you kidding me? :p Have you seen some of the man coaches, especially those of age?

Unrelated to the discussion, but I once saw a 60-year-old coach get up on high bar (bare-handed wearing sneakers, kaki shorts, and a collared shirt) to demonstrate a stalder for a student.

I take a knee sometimes, especially when I'm getting tired. Sometimes I will say, " Take a knee " and they sit or kneel while I kneel. Sometimes, it's so I can get more to their level. Sometimes, it's just cause I'm trying to conserve energy especially if spotting.

Sometimes I will sit on the edge of the tumbl-trak while having the kids kick into HS towards me while I spot.

I also have noticed that I like to take a knee or sit while watching mushroom. We, typically work mushroom in a different area than pommel horse because of where the bucket is setup and where we have to throw down our floor mushrooms. I'll get it, shape a kid, then sit and watch mushroom or direct to this or that station, etc.

I do not sit on any other event unless I need to get low to see something since I tend to stand in close enough to spot, especially on the apparatus events.

I do not sit during rec classes and am often telling other rec coaches to get off their duffs, especially if they dare try to lay down.

I'm a new-ish coach and learned very quickly that I can't sit during any of my classes. I sit with all of my classes while we stretch and usually end up stretching with them (same with conditioning...I'll do push-ups with them, since that's the one thing they all struggle with and need a visual guide).
I might sit on the edge of the pit while spotting front or back tucks, but not to rest. I find it easier to spot that way. I'll be on my knees while spotting BHS (again, easier for me to spot).
Lots of my kids are still very young and forget what they're doing mid-flip, so I've learned quickly to be prepared, have my hands ready and NEVER sit.
There are some instances where coaches may sit, but for the most part...sitting shouldn't be allowed, IMO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back