Leap Fears!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of my daughters is doing level 4 this year, but is having really bad leap fears. She will do them good on a low beam but once she goes on a high beam her leap has almost no air time. It is hard to explain but she basicall steps and slides that foot back and replaces it with the other one. She is stressing about it because she wants to get it better. Any tips?

If she does them well on low beam, the next step is to try putting mats under the high beam so she is more comfortable there. With mats under it, a high beam is the same thing as a low one, right? Then you can slowly take away mats until she is doing her good leaps on a regular beam. Another thing that helps is simply practice - the more you do a skill, the less scary it is.

Set up a tent and sleeping bag on a beam and have her live on it for a while. It's just a matter of concentrating while spending a lot of time on the beam so she can get used to it.

Thing is, the coach is quite impatient. She worked these 2 days on the low beams and now expects them to be huge on the high beam. She isnt real big on "becoming comfortable" with the skill, she just expects her (and everyone else) to do them automatically

you may want to have your daughter's eyes checked. usually, they don't have a problem transferring leaps from low to high beam. other skills sometimes, yes...leaps and jumps without turns, no.

Well loads of girls on her team are having the same issue. Handstands they are fine with, cartwheels, dismounts, turns, they are fine with that, but not leaps.

i have no plausible explanation.

Except the fear of one child being "contagious". I have experienced that with certain groups before. Not with leaps, but with other skills...

One is afraid (and very vocal about her fear), or one falls and gets a nasty beam burn, and then BAM! the whole group is suddenly afraid of the skill.

very unfortunate when that happens...i understand what you mean.:)

My daughter can be easily a catcher of contagious fear. Not really sure why, well except for she is one of those in her own head kids. She is you g so I am hoping she will grow out of it but I am not too sure. She did however do beautiful leaps until one day she missed her front foot just enough to slide down the beam, hit her back leg that was parallel with the beam which flung her to her face. Now she is doing a see saw looking thing:( Ugly but can't say I blame her.

yep my dd is the same no worried about any acro type skill but when it comes to leaps forget it she wont jump very high does do beautiful leaps on floor and low beam but high beam not nice.

maybe you and a few of the other parents should speak to the coach. Our gym is very big on the coach/student and coach/parent relationship. Communication is key. Another thing is maybe during an extra practice or open gym your daughter could slowly start moving the beam up. They are adjustable and that helps a lot of times in the kids feeling comfortable on the beam. One last thought, have you ever thought of getting a beam for at home? I know they are big and bulky but having one ( ours is 8 foot) has helped my dd with her beam skills dramatically. She was doing a level 4 dismount at level 1. Good luck. Give her lots of hugs and encouragement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back