Learning how to do a Cody.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Aero

Coach
Hello everyone, I've recently started getting into trampoline a lot lately on my own time and am stuck on learning Codys. I am very comfortable with front drops and back drops and have years of experience with forward and backward saltos of all varieties. However, the idea of entering into a back tuck from a front drop is terrifying to me! I can perform the first part of the Cody where you do a 3/4 back layout to front drop, but continuing from there is the hard part. I can rotate to my back, but I feel like there's absolutely no way I'd have enough rotation to make it to my feet, even cowboy tucked. My prediction is that my tuck would be incredibly slow. I just don't feel it like I do other skills. I think that I might need to understand the skill better. I can currently do kabooms in both directions, pull overs, cruises, duck unders, and many other skills. I just don't know any other drills I could do to learn this skill other than rotating to my back. Any coaches have advice for teaching and learning this skill? I can post videos if needed. Thanks!

I struggled with that skill for like 2 years. It is a really weird skill. The only drills I know for it are double back timers (that is how much you pull) Back drop pullover to your stomach to your back and pullover to feet. Back 3/4 to stomach pull to back then pullover to feet. And back 3/4 pull to back in a straight position then pullover to feet (this makes you keep your abs tights to be able to pull your feet through with straight legs and helps you learn to use your feet to rotate.

After all that is good you have to just think about kittens or chocolate milkshakes have your coach throw in a mat and go for it. You will rotate. I have never under rotated one. But you do have to commit. This video is good and shows the drills
Good luck!

Cody is my favourite skill, mostly because it's one of the less-seen ones at my level. A useful drill I found was to do your lazy back, return to FEET, and then do your tuck back from there. It's waaaay harder than just doing the Cody, and by the time I'd done that a few times I was ready to just go for it.

The best way I've found to spot this move is to have a coach on the frame who can step in and kip as you land the lazyback, so that you do the Cody really high and they can turn you if they need to, and have a mat pushed in.

It's a weird skill though, have under rotated a couple of times, but always to hands and knees, and I was told both times it happened that if I'd have tried I could have saved them.

If you are comfortable with cruise, then you must have a decent Cody kick. Just kick, wait, and tuck. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thank you both for the advice! LucyTRA, would you be able to explain the "kick" a little better? Is it a toe flick out of the front drop?

Cody is my favourite skill, mostly because it's one of the less-seen ones at my level. A useful drill I found was to do your lazy back, return to FEET, and then do your tuck back from there. It's waaaay harder than just doing the Cody, and by the time I'd done that a few times I was ready to just go for it.

The best way I've found to spot this move is to have a coach on the frame who can step in and kip as you land the lazyback, so that you do the Cody really high and they can turn you if they need to, and have a mat pushed in.

It's a weird skill though, have under rotated a couple of times, but always to hands and knees, and I was told both times it happened that if I'd have tried I could have saved them.

If you are comfortable with cruise, then you must have a decent Cody kick. Just kick, wait, and tuck. I'm sure you'll be fine!

yes, absolutely! yes! and YES! Aero, the kick she is referring to is when you leave your stomach and you must 'snap' the body to a puck or closed position or hollow. depends on what your coach calls it. then as the feet pass thru the bottom to forward, think "kick the soccer ball forward off the trampoline". it's a snap of the body and then a kick thru forward of the feet and shins.

The kick is when you beat down with your feet, snapping the body straight as dunno said as you come off your stomach in the front landing. This gives you the rotation to go to feet/to back/over in a Cody. When you cruise, if you stay straight, then you must have a decent kick because it's giving you enough power for 1/2 a somersault straight, and 180 degrees of twist, so I imagine that you would have plenty of power to get over your head if you tucked it :)

Just to add to this stuff about the kick. It is a transference of momentum. So you land in the front drop position with your knees bent and you beat your legs down towards the bed as you are rising up out of it and then lock out straight as you leave it. The inertia of your lower legs and feet is conserved and shared out with the rest of your body which helps your rotation. You might see the same principle at work in the other direction from a backdrop landing in a backdrop to front drop straight or a ballout (but not necessarily, some people leg beat on ballouts but some don't.) You can practise the leg beat bit just on a straightforwards straight front drop return to feet. You don't really need a leg beat to get back to feet but you can feel the difference if you get the timing right.

Obviously the other, rather simpler, aspect of generating rotation from a front drop landing is just to push away from the bed with your hands (you are applying an off-centre force to create rotation, so basically like a lever.) The amount of rotation you get is dependent on the amount of force and the distance from your centre of mass so it helps to have your hands well forwards in your front drop.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back