Lefty/righty: Does this test really predict?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

With the second test, also take into consideration that if you step with your right foot in front, your body turns left (similar to cartwheels and roundoffs).

I'm predominantly a righty with a few lefty tendencies (I do most twisting jumps and bails as a lefty). I cross my left thumb over, but I would step onto my right leg. I can turn equally well on both legs, although I prefer to do double turns on my right leg and leg up turns on my left leg. However, I'm a CCW skater for turns and jumps.

Gymkat,

I am exactly like what you put above for my skills. When I cast handstand pirouette, I flip my right hand first, then turn. Which makes half out of blinds awkward. I jump turn more exactly going to the left for fulls or 1.5, but to do double or more I need to go right (but landing is all over the place). I started to learn twisting right, and it was a disaster. Later on I switched to left twisting and although it's slow going, I am safe and know where I am. I remember when I started gymnastics, the coaches said the split that was better was usually your best side for skills, which seems like a strange criteria, other than looking at having full split in bhs step out, etc.

Last edited:
Also i found another test that says to just wrap your hands together no interlocking fingers just a fist with the other hand around, and see what thumb is on top. This is my left, however interlocking is my right.

Also i found another test that says to just wrap your hands together no interlocking fingers just a fist with the other hand around, and see what thumb is on top. This is my left, however interlocking is my right.

What about the fact that a righty roundoff is really a left turn. Are we considering this as we discuss these things? Following that, all the tests w/ the thumbs etc. say I am lefty, but do a righty roundoff (which is a left turn) and twist left so that makes sense.

well it depends i cartwheel, round off, handstand, walkover left foot first. split right foot forward, turn right foot on ground but i snowboard and skateboard left foot forward so mainly a lefty and the hand test worked

My left thumb goes on top. I hurdle right and twist, turn, and split left. Interesting comment about the snowboard/skateboard. I'm left foot forward on those. I'm right handed and my right leg was definitely my dominate in soccer. I guess I'm all over the place. I've always chalked it up to breaking my arm in kindergarten and being forced to things with my left arm for half the year.

It was accurate for me; I'm a righty for writing for in gym I'm a lefty. I think it has something to do with my amblyopic right eye. o_x

There were a couple of skills I had trouble deciding which side to pick, but they were weird ones like the mill circle xD

well i do my leaps and backwalkovers and someother things with my left leg and i cross my arms with my left arm on top same with my hands folded but i write and do everything else with my right hand weird :floor:

The test didn't work for me. I actually have the same problem as your daughter, it is particularly frustrating when trying to do front and back walkovers because I end up having to use my weaker split. But personally I think it is easier to stay a righty and just do lots of right leg split stretches!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back