WAG leotard cut/fit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i feel bad talking about her specifically like this. if her mama is on here, i'm sorry! :oops:

that being said, i would not approve of that cut for my young daughter.
I do not want to bash the poor girl, she is a fantastic gymnast. I felt bad for her as I watched the video.

i know- i have't gotten that impression in your posts. i would just hate to embarrass anyone.
lets hope this trend of leos getting smaller and smaller stops immediately! :) LOL

Reactions: sce
that being said, i would not approve of that cut for my young daughter.
. I don't know, I think I would be much more comfortable having a younger vs an older girl wear it. After watching the video again, I see your point. Definitely on the high side but I still don't think it was outrageous. It seemed to stay in place for the butt and it had more than enough fabric to cover in the front. It is definitely the cut. I am not sure a larger size would have helped. Just would have been looser/saggy and revealed more.

i know- i have't gotten that impression in your posts. i would just hate to embarrass anyone.
lets hope this trend of leos getting smaller and smaller stops immediately! :) LOL
If I recall, it got pretty bad a number of years ago and some new rules were put in place. I'm foggy on the details but I remember there was some issue with certain countries leotards being considered too highcut/revealing.

I agree, the leo seemed to be a little too small, but it was probably the cut of it or the material. Ragan is amazing though, and won floor, even if her leo may not have fit right. ;) She's one of my favorite juniors. I guess it just depends. I do hope that they don't keep getting smaller, though.o_O

Edit: have you seen her tumbling passes? CRAZY! They also contribute to the fact that it may be a little high in the front/back.

I think they look nice, and her rear end stays covered throughout. Now, she may have needed butt glue to keep it there, but I didn't see any hint of a wedgie. The front on the hip was maybe a little high in some posers and towards the end, but not to the point I would make an issue of it. The Leo's went well with the routines and music!

. I don't know, I think I would be much more comfortable having a younger vs an older girl wear it. After watching the video again, I see your point. Definitely on the high side but I still don't think it was outrageous. It seemed to stay in place for the butt and it had more than enough fabric to cover in the front. It is definitely the cut. I am not sure a larger size would have helped. Just would have been looser/saggy and revealed more.
well, young to me in this context is any age she's living under my roof and i have the power to say, "over my dead body." LOL. after that, she's an adult and i can't tell her what to wear.

You can get different cuts with GK. There is standard and modified... our team always got the modified and it was more modest.
I know that there is some rule somewhere about not being cut above the hip bone... It almost looks like her leotard is a little too small - possibly should have ordered the "long torso" option.

Sorry, didn't realize you could order different cuts, but that makes sense. I've never seen really high cut GK leos.

Reactions: sce
well, young to me in this context is any age she's living under my roof and i have the power to say, "over my dead body." LOL. after that, she's an adult and i can't tell her what to wear.
That is awesome!

Sorry, didn't realize you could order different cuts, but that makes sense. I've never seen really high cut GK leos.
lol, the only times i have seen a high cut leotard from GK is when 1 - it was too small :confused: and 2 - when the girl purposely hiked her leotard up over her hip :eek:... Her HC freaked out and put a stop to that IMMEDIATELY. :oops:

I know that there is some rule somewhere about not being cut above the hip bone...

This is true, it is in the FIG code (and also in the rules we use here in NZ which are based on FIG). IMO, this is cut way too high and looks above the hip bone to me. In general I don't like the look of high cut leotards. Maybe it does give a 'longer line', but when you are seeing not just leg but some of the butt, etc. as well it is quite distracting and I don't find it aesthetically pleasing.

there is a natural bend that defines the line between the leg and the torso and the leotard should hit there.

This is what I think looks best too.

I'm not sure if it is a rule in America but in Australia a leotard is not allowed to extend past the hip bone or below the shoulder blades. The leotard strap must also be 3cm thick

I do not want to bash the poor girl, she is a fantastic gymnast. I felt bad for her as I watched the video.

Yes, I think it's important to clarify that no one is criticizing this young woman AT ALL! I am assuming that the leo was ordered for her much like our coach will change the sizes if she feels we are ordering an inappropriate size. This leo doesn't affect the fact that she does beautiful gymnastics.

I remember at a college meet I attended, one woman's leo was so ill-fitted that by the end of her routine, while she held her finishing post, you could see her ENTIRE left butt cheek. I don't mean a little curve at the bottom of her bum. I mean the leo was stuck in her crack from top to bottom. Had she been on the street she would have been arrested! It was horrible! LOL

Just adding to the discussion that at dd's old gym the coaches were very adamant on the higher cut legs and that they should be up over the hip bone as that is the trend for the National team suits. Longer leg line being the ultimate goal apparently.

To me, watching the videos shows the same cut on both girls but because the first is leaner & thinner, it appears higher. I say this only because my DD's team has the cutest Leo but on my DD who is very lean, it appears higher and when she does splits the crotch seems very narrow. It does cover but on her seems to show more than I would like. I really don't notice it on the other girls at all. And if we had gone smaller, it wouldn't have covered her bottom but would have helped the front, if we had gone bigger, it would gape in the front. It's an alpha factor Leo and we have a couple of their practice Leo's that she never wears for this exact reason. Her GK's cover everything and never ride on her. And strangely, talking to other moms at our gym, they don't like GK because they ride up on their girls. It's so strange!

DD's coach is always hiking their competition leos up to show more leg. She says this is because the higher cut shows more leg and, as a result, makes the legs look longer and the lines look prettier and more defined. DD doesn't seem to mind to much, but she's only 10...

What bothers DD more is if it doesn't fit right across the back. Coach could hike up her leo before every event and she wouldn't care, but if it doesn't fit across the back she gets all bent out of shape...

I need to have high cut leos because if i get like the low cut. ones my legs look even shorter and my body looks longer and that just looks so bad! So I get what they're doing with those high cut leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back