WAG Level 3 Kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
Is there any benefit to competing a glide kip in Level 3 instead of a pullover? My DD just moved up to Level 3, has her kip, and her coach mentioned she could compete it if she can get her straight arms consistent.

Funny you should ask this. My daughter had a meet last weekend and got to compete her kip in her level 3 routine for the very first time. Her coach said she lets them do so if they have a consistent kip with pretty form and if they're kip is better than their pull over. In my daughter's case it is because she has very knobby and less than straight legs that is very obvious during her pullover. But when doing a kip she has pretty form! Go figure! I would say the biggest risk is not making it. Not sure what the deduction for not making it is? But I also see it as good experience for when she starts competing level 4 in the fall as she will be used to it already! This last meet she got her highest bar score ever...A 9.375! I was so proud!

The deduction for not making it is just like a fall... then they do the pullover after.
As lisajayes said, the benefit is they get prepared for the next level up... and it might be the better scoring option for those gymnasts that have "poopy" pullovers but pretty kips.

The advantage is that you get to practise it more in preparation for higher levels. Its better not to do it unless it is near perfect, and few level 3's would have it to this standard.

So is a fall .5 and then they would lose up to the full point value of the skill itself in addition?

Definitely a risk if so but the reward if done and done nicely is definitely there in terms of feel good and confidence boost!

Our coaches don't think it is worth doing unless the kip is perfect. The pullover and kip have the same value in the routine.

So is a fall .5 and then they would lose up to the full point value of the skill itself in addition?

Definitely a risk if so but the reward if done and done nicely is definitely there in terms of feel good and confidence boost!
it is the .5 for the fall... but they don't also lose the full value of the skill if they do a successful pullover (kind of like if they fall to the wrong side on beam dismount and get up and repeat it- they just get the fall).

My DD will competing her kip for the first time in her L3 routine at our next meet. She begged her coach and is so pumped to do it. It is just a little home meet against 3 gyms from our state. She only got it a few weeks ago, but it is really consistent at this point and looks pretty darn good considering. Probably because it took her 6+months :confused: to get it!

However, her coach was very noncommital about her competing it at our next 2 big meets and states. I highly doubt her coach will risk a "fall" at states.

My DD will competing her kip for the first time in her L3 routine at our next meet. She begged her coach and is so pumped to do it. It is just a little home meet against 3 gyms from our state. She only got it a few weeks ago, but it is really consistent at this point and looks pretty darn good considering. Probably because it took her 6+months :confused: to get it!

However, her coach was very noncommital about her competing it at our next 2 big meets and states. I highly doubt her coach will risk a "fall" at states.
Quite frequently, coaches have their gymnasts "play it safe" at the BIG meets :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back