WAG Level 4 Bar routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

poodlemomma

Proud Parent
My DD is having a hard time getting her kip on the high bar. She swears it is different then the kip on the low bar. I have watched and watched all the other girls and I see no difference.

My thoughts are that from her squat on, she isn't jumping to the high bar, but leaning into it. She is one of the older/bigger/taller girls on the L4 team. She doesn't have to jump to the high bar, she basically just leans into it. So from what I have seen (in my no expertize at all) she has no momentum to get that kip.

I watched her practice tonight. They had her just getting up on the lower bar and starting her routine from that point. She got her kip on the high bar this time no problem as she had to jump a little to get the momentum started up. But if she does the whole routine, she is unable to get it.

I don't know if she is so concentrated on getting her squat on that she kind of stops there or what?

I wish I had video to share. I may have it after this Friday as they are having their practice meet.

For my DD the high bar was easier (she got it a few weeks before the low bar) because of the momentum. So yeah, I imagine if she isn't jumping to the high bar that it will make it harder. I don't know much about these things; but could the coaches have the bars set further apart for her?

I think it is harder because with the low bar kip you tend to jump into it already in the piked position. On the high bar, once you jump (or lean in) your body is straight and you have to pull your legs up to the pike position and then up to the bar. Probably requires more strength than the low bar kip and the timing is different.

I don't know why, but it took my dd about a month longer to get her high bar kip once she got her low bar consistent. She said she thought it was a timing thing- she wasn't twisting her grip or something. She has then both consistently now though- it'll come!

I think they are supposed to e different kips. Low bar is a glide kip and the high bar is a long hang kip. Slightly different technique and timing. It will come.

Glide kip

Long hang kip.

DD (competed L4 last season) says Bog is right, one is a glide kip, one a long hang kip. She got her long hang kip faster, meaning she worked for a few months to get her kip originally and her high bar (=long hang) kip came really easy after that. She says the long hang kip still is easier. :) HTH!

Added: she is short and we train/compete all gymnasts on bars really far apart. She really has to jump to the high bar!

Adding a post about training the long hang kip. Our coaches seem to break down the routine into two sections once the girls have all the components. One part they do all the low bar stuff, ending with the squat on- jump to high bar, then just tap swing out of it. The second part they pullover up to low bar, do the squat on, then go to kip, tap swings and dismount. Once both parts are done well, they can put them together. :)

Tell her to jump to the high bar in an open glide shape. Currently she is leaning to the bar and leaving her feet behind her, forcing her shoulders and belly out through the bottom, creating a tap swing. The timing for a kip is hard at the beginning, so when you add an arched jump it makes it harder. Hollow jump = a similar kip on the high bar = similar timing as the low bar kip = less deductions and success.

SurpriseGymMom, I think that is what our coaches seem to be doing as well. The girls tend to work the lower bar, then the higher bar, then they combine them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back