WAG Level 5 and 6 in the same season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymettemom

Proud Parent
According to USAG rules, is it possible to compete level 5 for a for a mobility score then move to level 6 optionals in the same season?

Yes. and the gymnast can compete both at the same time, after they have gotten the mobility score in 5.

DD is doing 5 in August to get the mobility score and then 7 in January. Her coach does not plan on competing anyone at 6 unless they need it (thus far, she's not had any difficulty getting her 5s ready to compete 7 in January). She won't finish her 5 season, though--as soon as she gets her mobility score, she's not competing again until 7 in January (HC is afraid of repetition injury (or any injury, for that matter) and wants her to focus on getting the B skills she needs so she's confident with 7 routines.

Thanks for all your input. Unfortunately, DD really should have been moved to level 5 this year as Her AA scores (level 4) are in the 36s and 37's. Our HC tends to be a bit of a foot dragger in moving girls thru the levels and never lets parents know her plans. I can only HOPE that she will be able to move to 6 next year, but in reality HC seems to only move them 1 level per year. It can be so frustrating when you know DD has the skills, but isn't pushed to compete them.

Thanks for all your input. Unfortunately, DD really should have been moved to level 5 this year as Her AA scores (level 4) are in the 36s and 37's. Our HC tends to be a bit of a foot dragger in moving girls thru the levels and never lets parents know her plans. I can only HOPE that she will be able to move to 6 next year, but in reality HC seems to only move them 1 level per year. It can be so frustrating when you know DD has the skills, but isn't pushed to compete them.
--
I Don't know your coach but teaching proper progressions is not foot dragging.

You are correct. I know she has the best interest of her girls at heart. She's a good coach. I respect her and her abilities and my DD loves her. That's all that truly matters. I just have to remember sometimes slow and steady wins the race. :)

You are correct. I know she has the best interest of her girls at heart. She's a good coach. I respect her and her abilities and my DD loves her. That's all that truly matters. I just have to remember sometimes slow and steady wins the race. :)
DD did old 5 and 6 in one year in order to get to L7 before the changes - then she chose to do 2 years of L7 (her coach was not surprised that is what happened, but was open to moving to L8). Sometimes fast, sometimes slow and steady - in the end she's where she'd have been if she did a whole year of old 6 - but I think she's much happier and her scores definitely went up a ton when she moved to optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back