WAG Level 5 bars scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reluctant

Proud Parent
My daughter has not had her first Level 5 meet yet, but in looking at scores from a meet this past weekend, there were A LOT of really low bars score ( 4s and 5s) in level 5. Is this a known thing? I've never seen scores that low and have another child competing 9.

It's not a thing in my state. My dd is level 5 this year and I haven't seen scores nearly that low. There are usually lots of low to mid 9's with some even higher from the more competitive gyms. And even the less competitive gyms are still scoring in the mid 7's and up.

We’ve seen lots of bars scores in the 5-7 range for L5 and L6. We’ve also seen some exceptionally high scores in those levels, but in our experience it’s definitely the lowest scoring event in those levels.

These were probably the first meets of the season. Maybe the girls had a lot of falls?

Not necessarily.
Not-so-good form kip + low cast + wrap-around back hip circle (rather than free hip) followed by messy kip (muscle up version), wrap-around pull up on high bar (rather than baby giant) plus all the form and cast deductions on everything would get score in 5's here.
However, it seems like that the L5 bars are judged harsher now than they used to be 3 or 4 years ago. My DD's teammate from our previous gym was getting high 6 to high 7 for this kind of routine three years ago.

It has been a few years since DD did L5, but we did not routinely see scores like that at meets. You might see one pop up here or there, but tbh the scores seemed to be pretty typical as I recall. Maybe things have changed?

Yes, its pretty normal. Level 5 is the hardest scored level, with longer routines therefore more areas for deductions. Lower scores are pretty normal. High 8s in this level is a good score.

It's not a thing in my state. My dd is level 5 this year and I haven't seen scores nearly that low. There are usually lots of low to mid 9's with some even higher from the more competitive gyms. And even the less competitive gyms are still scoring in the mid 7's and up.
At our first meet, L5 Bar Scores ranged from 5.300 to 8.600.
The mean score was 7.217. The median score was 7.225. The mode was 7.050. Q1 was 6.800. Q3 was 8.000.
There were 9 scores in the 8's.
There were 14 scores in the 7's.
There were 5 scores in the 6's.
There were 4 scores in the 5's.

My DD had multiple meets in the 7's last year and 1 in the 6's. We were warned by our coach that level 5 is judged very hard and saw that throughout the year. Very few 9's were ever given. This was very hard on my dd as she was used to all 9's in level 3 (she skipped level 4). She is repeating level 5 this year, and our season hasn't started yet, but, are hoping for much better results.

At our first meet, L5 Bar Scores ranged from 5.300 to 8.600.
The mean score was 7.217. The median score was 7.225. The mode was 7.050. Q1 was 6.800. Q3 was 8.000.
There were 9 scores in the 8's.
There were 14 scores in the 7's.
There were 5 scores in the 6's.
There were 4 scores in the 5's.

Definitely depends on the state and meet. :) My dd's first level 5 meet, the bar scores ranged from 8.025 to 9.8. 11 scores in the 9's and 3 in the 8's. Another meet they ranged from 7.0 to 9.675 with 2 in the 7's, 10 in the 8's and 16 in the 9's. So where I live scores in the 4's and 5's are not the norm.

I will say that I think in my state, most of the stronger gyms do level 5 (and then 7) and the less competitive ones tend to score out of 5 and compete 6 instead. So that is probably a factor here.

I've not seen many scores that low, but we don't do score outs in Canada, if you compete Level 5 you do it all season so the kids tend to be better prepared than those just chucking their way through the bar routine trying to get out of compulsories. My DD scored high 8s with a spot on her flyaway all season and had teammates with really beautiful bars scoring in the mid 9s on a regular basis...they're all doing level 7 this season now. The scores definitely skewed lower than what you see in level 4 though and proficiency in level 4 certainly doesn't mean you're going to rock level 5. My DD would score mid to high 9s in level 4.

I've not seen many scores that low, but we don't do score outs in Canada, if you compete Level 5 you do it all season so the kids tend to be better prepared than those just chucking their way through the bar routine trying to get out of compulsories. My DD scored high 8s with a spot on her flyaway all season and had teammates with really beautiful bars scoring in the mid 9s on a regular basis...they're all doing level 7 this season now. The scores definitely skewed lower than what you see in level 4 though and proficiency in level 4 certainly doesn't mean you're going to rock level 5. My DD would score mid to high 9s in level 4.
I know some gyms do send the girls through just to rush them to optionals, but a good gym/coach won't allow gymnasts to score out who are "chucking" their way through the bar routine. My dd's gym has some amazing level 5s and only 3 were allowed to score out. And they had to prove they were ready before even being considered.

Level 5 is analogous to old L6, where bars dreams all went to die.

:p:rolleyes:

so true!
a couple of years ago when 2 of our gymnasts were testing out of 5 and they didn't make the score at the moving up meet, we were able to see them compete at a "real" meet and the scores in level 5, across the board, were awful! but someone got up on the podium for bars with a 6. something score! :eek:
not for nothing, but i'm so thankful dd was able to score out of 5. haha. she did well. i think she got a 35.95 and she had very little prep on the routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back