Level 5 or 6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! So I'm a level 5 gymnast, but I have all of the 5 skills plus RO BHS BT on tumble track, BWO on low beam, front tuck, FHS step out FHS, Flyaway, and an okay clear hip, but I told my coach that my wish is to compete level 6 this season, which i told her i was pretty sure i won't be able too...but she told me I might be able to if I continue working my butt off at camp and in practice...my coach says she wants me to talk to the 2 main HC's about competing level 6 this season...but I'm afraid they'll just laugh in my face. But I have some skills the actual level 6's don't have...but my friend who's an optional told me to talk to the coaches sooner rather then later since we're in summer training and that's when we work skills. The thing is I don't know if I should or not... My level 5 skills are good form, good technique and everything. but I really like to be challenged which is what level 6 would be for me. My 2 level 5 coaches say how great i'm doing and that they really want me to talk to the main coaches, but no one has not competed level 5 in the past 5 years. so i don't know what to do..so i guess what i'm asking is..
1. What would you guys do?
2. Should I talk to the HC's? If so, when? Now or after I go to more camps and get more 6 skills?
3. Any advice? haha:)

:confused:
Thanks everyone <3

My simple advice is.... "if you don't ask, you don't get!" You have nothing to lose by asking the coaches about it. At the very least, it shows that you're motivated and have a goal in mind!

I don't know any coaches who'd laugh in an athlete's face, especially if they expressed desire to work hard for a challenge. Give me a hard worker ANY day.

Even if you can't go straight to 6-and you will need at least a mobility meet-working the higher level skills won't hurt you if you've got good technique.

Just like I tell my daughter you dont ask you dont get. She is in the same boat kinda right now too. She qualified at a meet as level 6 already and can move up to 7. Her coach is waiting for her to ask because she said if she doesnt say how does she really know she wants it.

First off Like I tell my DD if you don't ask the answer is always "NO" if you ask then you have a 50 - 50 chance of getting a "YES" Don't be afraid to ask anything.

Second I don't know of any coach (even the crappy coaches) that would laugh at any gymnast asking a serious question like this. If you are afraid then talk to your parents and see if one of them would go with you to talk to the coach. If for no other reason than moral support. We parents are really good at that when it comes to our kids. Mom might be able to make a meeting time at a time when the team isn't there and the HC has more time to discuss a gymnastic plan for your future.

I would ask now so they know you are serious about working hard to get the L6 skills and to see where they think you are skillwise and to give you the most time to work on L6 moves.

Once you put the effort and determination in to your practice you would be surprised how quickly you can get the skills you need. It is possible that from Sep - Dec competitive session you could be a L5 working on L6 and from Jan - May you could be a L6. If you don't do the fall season then you have 5 months to just work L6 skills to get your skills for Jan - you would be amazed how quickly you could get them if you want them bad enough.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree!! Go ask. The worst they can say is no but then at least you won't be wondering anymore. And noone is going to laugh at you! This will let the coaches know that you are serious about gymnastics and want to work hard to achieve your goals! Good Luck!!

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Ask the HC's. Your current coaches wouldn't have asked you to ask the HC's if they didn't think you could go L6...so you obviously have the ability to go in that level! Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

If I were you I would go to level 6 to challenge yourself. I mean you have all the skills pretty much.The clear hip is the hardest skill in the whole bar routine right. WELL GOOD LUCK:cool:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back